Monday, November 20, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (November 20, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was a lovely late Fall week. Temperatures approached 50 a few days and the skies were sunny which finally let us make some solar power after a very cloudy month. 

After a break to read some things of my own, I'm back to reading mostly review copies as I tackle the books that are being released December 26 and in early January. I also need to start setting up draft posts for my January calendar. January is nearly full already. I only have open spots for two books and two audiobooks since I have a bunch of review books and have some scheduled posts that got bumped for late-arriving review copies. 

Last week I visited my ophthalmologist for my annual eye exam and was pleased to learn that my vision didn't change enough to require new glasses and the cataract in my left eye doesn't yet affect my vision enough for surgery. I was glad to have my brother as chauffeur since those eye drops really mess up my vision. 

This week is appointment free. All that is on the agenda is Thanksgiving which will be a quiet celebration including a sheet pan Thanksgiving dinner. My brother has mostly 11:30 - 7:30 shifts this week with Monday and Thursday off. That means I'm on my own for dinner most nights and he doesn't get a real dinner. I see lots of brunches in my future if I want to eat at the same time he does. 

Last week's reading helped me reduce TBR mountain a tiny bit. I was especially pleased to find two great stories that I had purchased in 2009. Of course, I needed to buy the third which added one back to the stack. I also chipped away at two series that I am trying to complete -- the Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt and the Meg Langslow series by Donna Andrews. Luckily, neither has to be read in order since I was introduced to both series by getting ARCs from NetGalley for titles late in the series.

I have something of a dilemma though. I have a bunch of unread Meg Langslow audiobooks that I've purchased from Chirp but I don't have book 5 in the series. I don't know if I want the Kindle copy for $9.99 after my Kindle Rewards discount or the audiobook copy using an Audible credit. I don't have to make a quick decision. Maybe We'll Always Have Parrots will go on sale at Amazon or Chirp before I have time to read it which will likely be for my February calendar. 

Or I could continue to read the Andy Carpenter series since I do have the next ones already on my Kindle...

Read Last Week

Reviews for these are available on my LibraryThing and Goodreads accounts. I've indicated in each description when the review will be posted on this blog.
  • The Painted Queen by Elizabeth Peters (Audiobook reread) -- Last book written by chronologically the 14th book in the Amelia Peabody series contains a number of copies of the famous Nefertiti statue and a group of bumbling assassins. My review will be posted on December 12.
  • Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros (Mine since November 7, 2023) -- Second in the Empyrean epic fantasy series. My review will be posted on December 6.
  • Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore (Mine since July 19, 2009) -- YA urban fantasy starring Maggie Quinn who wants to be an investigative reporter and is busy denying her psychic gifts. My review will be posted on December 7.
  • Kris Longknife: Bold by Mike Shepherd (Mine since October 13, 2022) -- Fourteenth in the Kris Longknife space opera series. My review will be posted on December 9.
  • Hell Week by Rosemary Clement-Moore (Mine since July 19, 2009) -- Second in the Maggie Quinn YA urban fantasy series. My review will be posted on December 12.
  • The Art of Theft by Sherry Thomas (Audiobook Reread) -- Charlotte Holmes and her associates need to enter a well-guarded French chateau and steal a painting which contains blackmail letters for one of Mrs. Watson's old friends. My review will be posted on December 14.
  • One Dog Night by David Rosenfelt (Mine since November 2, 2022) -- Ninth in the Andy Carpenter series. Entertaining mystery. My review will be posted on December 16.
  • Sweet Starfire by Jayne Ann Krentz (Reread; got my new Kindle copy October 21, 2023) -- Sweet science fiction romance. My review will be posted on December 13 for this book that I first read before 2008.
  • Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon by Donna Andrews (Mine since November 22, 2022) -- Fourth in the Meg Langslow series. Filled with great characters and laugh-out-loud moments. My review will be posted on December 14.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

14 comments:

  1. OOh nicely done! I haven't decided when I want to read Iron Flame! I've been hearing it's good but I am also hearing the complaints of waiting another year for the next one, so waiting a month or two or three might not be a bad idea! Lol! I still need to read the previous book in Chloe Neill's series! I picked up the newest one last week as a preorder but alas, I fell behind! I am hoping to get to this within the next two reads or so!

    Hope you enjoy your reads for this week and have a great Thanksgiving on Thursday!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great variety of books! I hope you enjoy your new reads and have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy being a week to a week and a half ahead of posting schedule. My hat is off to you starting on after Christmas books already. I need to start the Elizabeth Peters series at some point. I've heard so many great things about her books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather's been surprisingly nice here too. Not warm but sunny. Those eye drops really do make it hard to drive. Yay for good news.

    Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the appointments went well and looks like you got some great reading done. I think I would like the Clement-Moore series. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to read Fourth Wing still! And a Thanksgiving brunch sounds like it would be fun. You could really do it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are always so organized with your reading. I try to be but it never works for me. I, also, have Every Time I Go on Vacation Someone Dies. That looks really good. Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good week ahead... a nice variety of books and no appointments! I still want to read Fourth Wing, maybe early 2024. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of great books to read and already read. I'm always amazed with how many books people can read. I'm always behind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so organized with your reading and blogging! I love the sound of Every Time I Go on Vacation Someone Dies. I hope it's as clever and fun as the title!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am looking forward to reading Cold Curses. I am sad to see that series come to an end. The Art Theft and Murder on Cold Street are both books I hope to read someday. You always read the best books. :-) I hope you continue to enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your collection of reads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah for a quiet week and pretty nice weather! It's been strange here, it's snowed 3 times, but hasn't stuck around, usually at this point it would've been a month and a half of steady snow. Fingers crossed that when the snow comes to stay, it won't last until May! Yeah for making a dent in the TBR mountain! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must have been eye doctor week I also went. Need a new prescription, but the one cataract isn't even on the scale for anything other than monitoring. Hope yours doesn't worsen.

    Great books on your list. I bought a couple new ones and am waiting for them to come in. Hope you had a lovely week. Thanks for visiting my blog on Monday.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!