Monday, November 13, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (November 13, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet week with lots of reading time. I enjoyed listening to some of my favorite Liaden Universe audiobooks as rereads. I also finished all of the review books on my stack which are releasing on December 5. This week also saw two more NetGalley ARCs arriving from my NetGalley wishlist which had shorter turnaround times and required calendar rearranging. 

I have my reading calendar planned out through January 11 and don't really want to do any more rearranging. I have all posts, except the Monday posts, scheduled and ready to go through December 5. I even have two posts already scheduled for January since I had to move them to make room for arriving review copies.  

Since the next books on my review stack aren't releasing until December 26, I have time to fit in some of my own books. These are listed in my Next Week section. They include one really oldie, two from series that I'm trying to finish or catch up on, an audiobook reread in another series I'm trying to finish rereading, and a couple more books that just caught my eye when I was looking to fill in some spaces on my calendar. The Sagara title is a maybe. I like the author's writing a lot, but the book is actually a collection of three novels and over 700 pages long. I don't know if I have the stamina or want to spend all that time when I can pick three shorter books from my stack and lower TBR mountain more. 

My brother and I have started to plan our Thanksgiving dinner. We found a recipe for a complete Thanksgiving sheet pan dinner that we want to try. I also found a recipe for a Beef Pot Pie that is on my list for this Tuesday since that's the next time we'll be able to have dinner together. He tends to have lots of mid-day shifts where he works past the dinner hour. Days when we can eat dinner together are pretty rare. 

We've been having good luck with our recent recipe finds. He discovered an Italian Sausage and Roasted Vegetables recipe in the newspaper that we tried and enjoyed. In fact, we just finished the leftovers a couple of days ago. I found a recipe for Kielbasa, Cabbage and Noodles that we both enjoyed last night and there's one serving left for someone's lunch this week. He also made a shrimp creole that also is still providing leftovers. My lunch portion is heating even as I'm writing this. 

This coming week has a couple of doctor's appointments. He has to see his cardiologist and I have an appointment with my ophthalmologist. Both of them are too early in the morning for our tastes, but I'm sure we'll survive.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Necessity's Child by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- One of my favorites in the Liaden Universe.
  • The Curse of Penryth Hall by Jess Armstrong (Review; December 5) -- Entertaining Gothic which takes place in 1922 and deals with curses and murderers. My review will be posted on November 30.
  • Dragon in Exile by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- Another Liaden Universe favorite. 
  • Alliance of Equals by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- Nineteenth in the Liaden Universe. 
  • Shards of Glass by Michelle Sagara (Review; November 28) -- Epic fantasy set in the same world as the author's Chronicles of Elantra. This story takes place at the newly rediscovered Academia and stars Robin who is a young orphan with a tragic past and current enemies. I love the worldbuilding. My review will be posted November 23. 
  • The Buried Hours by R. S. Grant (Review; December 5) -- Intense and gritty thriller about an investigative journalist who is trying to discover what events lead to her kidnapping, rape and torture a couple of years previously as she travels to Yosemite on a tip that might provide the answers. My review will be posted on November 30.
  • Trader's Leap by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- Most recent of the Liaden Universe books. 
  • Raiders of the Lost Heart by Jo Segura (Review; December 5) -- A nice contemporary romance starring two rival archaeologists on a dig in Mexico. My review will be posted on December 5.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
  • Foundation by Mercedes Lackey (Chirp Audiobook; $2.99)
  • Intrigues by Mercedes Lackey (Chirp Audiobook; $2.99)
  • Changes by Mercedes Lackey (Chirp Audiobook; $2.99)
What was your week like?

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, we've been writing up our Thanksgiving menu as well! Pretty much the same every year though occasionally we throw in something different! Lol.

    Nice line up of reads! I have no idea when I will get to Iron Flame! I am excited to read it though! Hope you're enjoying it!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again it looks like you have some great books coming up. I preordered a copy of Iron Flame which is sad because I haven't read the first one yet. Oh well, I am slating to begin them in January because they seem like fun reads for a snowy day. It will just be myself and my husband (and the pups) for Thanksgiving and he loves to cook so he will do most of it. It's also our Anniversary this year so I'm looking forward to a relaxing low-key day. I did actually learn to make "school rolls" this weekend. We both loved the ones they served when we were younger and in school so we found a recipe and gave it a go. They first batch wasn't great but he gave the 2nd batch a 8/10 so I'll take that as a wind.

    Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy quiet weeks. Your books look really good. I like when there's time between reviews to read some of your own books. Good luck with the doctor appointments this week. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire how you've got your posts planned for the next few weeks already! Mine are all over the place :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so amazing to me how you have gotten all your posts planned for weeks at a time. Great job!

    I hope you will tell us how your Thanksgiving sheet pan dinner turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My review stack is free until February, so I am also enjoying some of my own books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you getting so organized before the new year. I'm jealous. Your Thanksgiving Day recipe sounds good. Raiders of the Lost Hearts sounds so fun. Hope you enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the cool book bloggers are reading Iron Flame! I don't know why I'm so late to the Rebecca Yarros party. (I think the covers reminded me of Hunger Games so I assumed they were YA. Maybe they actually ARE!)
    That's nice that you and your brother share cooking duty and enjoy meal planning. I did a lot more cooking over this past weekend than I usually am home to do. I love having plenty of leftovers for the week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for being done the current scheduled review books, boo for having to rearrange schedule, but yeah to have them! I love Michelle Sagara's writing, and the Queen of the Dead series, it's interesting, I think it's the only series (as far as I know) that she's written that's set in a version of our world. If you read it, I hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!