Monday, April 1, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (April 1, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

Well... It started snowing last Sunday afternoon and before it was finished on Wednesday evening, we received 23 inches (58.43 centimeters) of snow. Our road was finally plowed Wednesday afternoon which left a ridge at least 5 feet (1.5 meters) tall across the front of our driveway. It was heavy wet snow, and my brother Bill was working his way through that ridge when the man who clears our neighbor's driveway came and used his pickup truck with a snowplow blade attached to push it to the sides of the driveway to help my brother out. Bill still spent more than an hour running the snowblower to clear out the rest of our driveway.

Those 23 inches of snow were more than we had received during the rest of the winter. At least it won't be around forever like snow in December. With highs in the upper 30s and lower 40s this week, much of it should melt away. I'm still not going to drive until lots of it melts. The roads are snow-free but the intersections mean playing chicken with traffic since the piles on the sides of the road obscure my views of traffic on the busy street I need to enter to leave my neighborhood.

Luckily, I have plenty to read to keep me busy and no appointments until my rescheduled dentist appointment on April 19. There is also The Voice to watch along with regular season baseball games. Right now, my Braves are on their way to a 162-0 season having won their first two games. I hope they can win today too. 

I am almost finished with my In Death Rereadathon. I have only 7 more to listen to. Then I'll have to wait until September for the new book. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get a review copy and shorten the waiting time. 

I completed my State of the Stack post earlier today. It will be posted a couple of hours after this post goes live. This week I should read the book that has been on my review stack the longest. I got The Mayfair Dagger on September 24, 2023. I am a bit farther behind than I prefer to be with my review books. I really like to be a month ahead, but I still have 8 April releases to read. I hope my pace increases after I finish the In Death Rereadathon but am expecting still another week or two when the review stack won't lower much. 

While preparing my State of the Stack post, I made a few observations. I've decided I'm not a very adventurous reader. Twenty-nine of the fifty-five books on my review stack are from authors I have read before. Also, I very seldom ask for a book to review that isn't a mystery. Only five of the fifty-five are not mysteries. There are two romances, two urban fantasies/paranormal romances, and one science fiction book on the stack. The romances are by authors that are new to me. The urban fantasies are by Nalini Singh and the science fiction book is by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller and are auto-buys for me. 

Read Last Week
  • We'll Always Have Parrots by Donna Andrews (Mine since December 8, 2023) -- Meg Langslow book 5 has Meg and Michael at a science fiction convention which was a lot of fun. My review will be posted on April 10.
  • Leverage in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook Reread) -- In Death Book 47
  • Christa Comes Out of Her Shell by Abbi Waxman (Review; April 16) -- Nerdy scientist has to come home when her father who supposedly disappeared into the Alaska wilderness twenty-five years early comes out of the woods. There was a lot of humor in this romance. My review will be posted on April 11.
  • Vendetta in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook Reread) -- In Death Book 49
  • At the Edge of the Woods by Victoria Houston (Review; April 23) -- Third Lew Ferris mystery set in Northern Wisconsin. My review will be posted on April 16.
  • Golden in Death by J. D. Robb (Audiobook Reread) -- In Death Book 50
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

5 comments:

  1. I see so many good looking books here! I want to read Every Time I Go on Vacation Someone Dies. I tend to read all over the place and do not focus on one particular genre even though I do love my horror books as I'm sure you have noticed. I am feeling the need for a cozy though so need to work one in this month. 23 inches is a lot of snow! We love in WV and it seems we get less and less snow each year. My husband gets really disappointed as he loves it. I do enjoy the pups playing in it. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of snow. I started the year being right on schedule with reviews, but then dealing with sudden health issues put me behind. I'm hoping to catch up, although it won't be perfect. I hope to read Everytime I Go On Vacation Someone Dies soon. That one looks really good. Enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd much rather have snow than the storms we're about to get tonight! Scary stuff and all while I'm sleeping! Hoping my phone alerts are loud enough to wake me up!

    Nice lineup of books! A lot are new to me ones too! I am sooo behind in the Guild Hunters series. I don't know how that happened! Lol. Hopefully I'll get caught up one day! Hope you enjoy your reads for the week!



    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lot of snow. We were expecting snow on Thursday, but looks like it will be all rain.

    What a great books you read. We all have favorite genres that we lean toward. Why not read what you enjoy most?

    Hope you have a nice week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking books! Glad you had some good reading during the snowy days.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!