Monday, May 27, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 27, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

It's Memorial Day weekend here in the USA which is the official kick-off to summer. Our weather has been mostly cooperating since the temperatures are warming up. Of course, we also had a few rainy days this past week adding about 2 inches of rain to our yearly total. High temperature for the week was 72. But then we did hit a low of 33 one day this week too. Mostly the lows are in the 40s with a couple of 50s too. 

I enjoyed my usual reading and listening and baseball watching. My Braves could be doing better since they seem to be on a losing streak. 

I also had some problems with Audible this week. I listen to my audiobooks on my laptop from the Audible website. Saturday, Audible was having problems. My stories either kept starting over or would not start at all. That means that I listened to half of one audiobook and finished the story by reading my Kindle copy. And I read my Kindle copies of another two instead of listening to the audiobooks. I had really hoped to listen to Beauty by Robin McKinley so that I could appreciate the lush vocabulary. Maybe I'll slot in the audiobook for listening later on this summer. Today things seem to be fine. My next audiobook listen is a title I bought at Chirp anyway so I can avoid any problems at Audible should they develop again. 

My brother is in a stretch of 51 scheduled hours over two pay periods. His next day off is Wednesday. We haven't been doing a lot of cooking since he hasn't been home for dinner. He did try a recipe for Meatball Stroganoff before he went to work one day this past week. It was quick to make since it was a one-pan recipe and used frozen meatballs which we had in our freezer already. It was good which was lucky since we had enough leftovers for another meal or two. 

Today he is using his May pizza coupon and bringing home a Sammy's pizza for our dinner. I gave him a gift certificate for one Sammy's pizza a month last Christmas which turns out to be a gift he is actually using. Sammy's is our favorite local pizza joint. 

There is nothing on the schedule for this week that will take me out of the house beyond trips to the grocery store. I'll have some end-of-the-month posts to prepare. I'll also be filling in the blanks on my July reading calendar. There aren't many blanks to fill since I have a bunch of July review books already slotted in. However, I did write in a couple of books that I preordered but don't have yet. The main blanks to fill are for the audiobooks I want to read. I may wait until closer to the time I need something for my calendar and let my mood choose. I do have 172 possibilities between Audible and Chirp already in my collection.

BTW, for those who asked, my new Kindle is an 11th generation Paperwhite. According to Amazon, it's my sixth Kindle. 

Read Last Week
  • A Deceptive Composition by Anna Lee Huber (Review; June 18) -- The twelfth Lady Darby historical mystery takes them to Cornwall to look into Lord Gage's estranged family. My review will be posted on June 12.
  • Sweetwater & the Witch by Jayne Castle (Audiobook Reread) -- Entertaining paranormal romance set on the world Harmony. The witty banter really shines in the audiobook version of this story. My review will be posted on June 13.
  • The Nature of Disappearing by Kimi Cunningham Grant (Review; June 18) -- The heroine takes off into the wilderness with an old boyfriend to rescue a friend. Lots of angst and adventure. My review will be posted on June 13.
  • Untraceable by Laura Griffin (Mine since 1/5/2024 when it was a BookBub deal) -- First in the Tracers of series of romantic suspense titles. My review will be posted on June 15.
  • Pitch Dark by Paul Doiron (Review; June 25) -- 15th Mike Bowditch mystery set in the wilderness of Maine. Engaging story of a man on the hunt for a killer. My review will be posted on June 18.
  • Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop (Audiobook Reread) -- Third in The Others series.
  • A Ruse of Shadows by Sherry Thomas (Review; June 25) -- Lots of plots and schemes in this episode of the Lady Sherlock series. Entertaining. My review will be posted on June 19.
  • Beauty by Robin McKinley (Reread) -- This lyrical and expanded retelling of Beauty and the Beast was as engaging as it was when I first read it years ago. My review will be posted on June 20.
  • The Third to Die by Allison Brennan (Mine since 1/20/2024) -- This thriller is the first in the Quinn & Costa series and introduces the characters as they try to track down a serial killer. My review will be posted on June 18. I started with the audiobook and finished with the Kindle copy. 
  • Murder Most Royal by SJ Bennett (Mine since 12/25/2023) -- Third in the series of mysteries wherein Queen Elizabeth II is an undercover detective. My review will be posted on June 20.
  • Her Deadly Game by Robert Dugoni (Mine since 9/13/2023) -- First Keera Duggan legal thriller. Entertaining with lots of plot twists and surprises. My review will be posted on June 22.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
  • Spy Ring by Sarah Beth Durst (gift from author)
  • May Day by Jess Lourey (Mine; TBR pile)
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:

Bought:
  • Twisted by Laura Griffin (Kindle) -- Tracers Book 5
  • The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst (Kindle Daily Deal)
What was your week like?

10 comments:

  1. I have to get back to Lauren Griffin's series. Also, Allison Brennan's. Both are so good but I haven't had time to continue. I will, eventually. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good reading week with fab books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some very good reads here. Anna Lee Huber is a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I don't have too much running to do this week either. A week ago it seems I had something to do each night after work and it really bugged me. It was a crazy week at work which I wrote all about in my blog. I definitely felt the full moon. That sounds like a perfect Christmas gift and you get to enjoy it too! Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love one-pan meals. Making one tonight, actually. So much easier on clean up.

    Lots of great books this week. A Deceptive Composition caught my eye. Hope you enjoy all your books.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/05/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-may-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your new books and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked In the Bleak Midwinter, but never continued the series. Love the Thursday Murder Club books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking titles. It is annoying when our reading/listening devices don't cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked the Nature of Disappearing. Original plots and characters.
    Harvee https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Reading and have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!