Monday, May 6, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 6, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was a nice week even though it was cloudy and rainy all week. I played chauffeur for my brother who needed to drop his car off for some maintenance but otherwise stayed close to home. 

We tried a new recipe for a one-pan chicken and rice twice this week. The first time we used a pan with a glass lid that was apparently not oven safe since it shattered into shards when Bill went to take it out of the oven necessitating that the meal be thrown away. We settled for take-out Chinese that night for dinner. We tried the recipe again later in the week using our trusty Dutch oven and it turned out to be a recipe we enjoyed and added to our keeper collection. 

That was our only adventure in cooking. I did, however, also make a chicken and vegetables recipe that has been a family favorite since the 1980s since it came from a microwave cookbook with a 1979 copyright. We have made it many times over the years, and it is always a hit.

I received a gift from author Sarah Beth Durst this week too. She had emailed me asking if I would like a copy of her newest middle grade book. (She has me on her list when she has new releases.) I certainly said yes and greatly enjoyed Spy Ring when it arrived on Thursday. 

Otherwise, I finished my May review copies and set up my June calendar which will be filled with lots of the books I added to my TBR pile this year. Most of the June review books seem to be bunched for June 4 release which means they will be part of my May calendar. In fact, I plan to read them this coming week. 

I am gradually rebuilding my cushion on my calendar. I'm almost at three weeks ahead. I prepared my State of the Stack post and gathered statistics for my April reading this week too. 

April Report

I read 38 books in April. Twenty were mine and eighteen were review copies. Of the books that were mine, nine were from my TBR pile and eleven were rereads. Thirteen of my books were audiobooks for a total of 174.6 hours of listening. 

I added 25 books to my collection in April. Eight were review copies. Six were audiobooks including two from Chirp and one from Audible Plus. I used 3 Audible credits this month which brings my banked credits down to two. I added 11 Kindle books to my collection including two Kindle Daily Deals and five from BookBub. Four of my new Kindle copies were free. Nineteen of my new arrivals are still marked TBR. In my defense, eight marked TBR are also review books which will be read closer to their release dates. 

My total To Read stack which includes Rereads but not Review copies stands at 2522 today. 

Read Last Week
  • Mind Games by Nora Roberts (Review; May 21) -- Another excellent standalone thriller filled with great relationships and a creepy psychic villain. My review will be posted on May 16.
  • Toll of Honor by David Weber (Mine) -- This epic science fiction story revisits and expands on earlier events in the Honor Harrington universe. My review will be posted on May 18.
  • Original Twin by Paula Gleeson (Review; June 1) -- Thriller about a young woman searching for her missing twin and learning more about her mother's past too. My review will be posted on May 21. 
  • The Vanished Seas by Catherine Asaro (Audiobook Reread) -- This science fiction mystery combines a search for murdered people with a rogue EI (evolving intelligence) and visits a number of places on Raylicon. My review will be posted on May 23.
  • If Something Happens to Me by Alex Finlay (Review: May 28) -- Another excellent twisty thriller from a master. My review will be posted on May 22.
  • Banker by Dick Francis (Audiobook Reread) -- Tim Ekaterin is a merchant banker who gets involved in a mystery when his bank loans a trainer multi-millions to invest in a stud. Great story. My review will be posted on May 28.
  • All's Fair in Love and War by Virginia Heath (Review; May 28) -- Cute historical romance between an uptight Navy officer and a free-spirit governess. My review will be posted on May 23.
  • Spy Ring by Sarah Beth Durst -- Middle grade adventure combining a treasure hunt and American History. My review for this May 21 release will be posted on May 22. This book was an autographed gift from the author. 
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

12 comments:

  1. Your books always look so good! I've been reading a hefty serious book, but have some lighter books and audiobooks lined up for taking on vacation next week. Thanks for visiting and commenting today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how many books you read each month! Enjoy the new month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your books look so good. I can't wait to read Mind Games. It sounds like something I would like. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no. Sorry about the first attempt at the recipe. Pyrex glass dishes are often safe (if you don't put them in the oven while they're cold from the fridge), but I'm not sure if they have glass lids. Stoneware is great in the oven, so that might be an option too. Glad the recipe was a hit the second time. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You read so much!! That Botanist Guide looks good. A bit dark maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh nice lineup of books! All new to me ones but I hope you enjoy your reads for this week! So nice that Sarah Beth mailed you the book too!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a pain to lose a casserole dish and a dinner at the same time! I am also in a good shape with my TBR pile. I have about 4 NetGalley books to read which is a good number, I panic when it's too many. I like to re-read a few books on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you have been reading some fascinating books. I haven't had anything explode coming out of the oven, but one time, when I had two pots of tourtiere cooking, I reached into a cupboard above the stove and accidentally knocked a glass bottle off the shelf. Glass shattered everywhere and so I had to throw it all out. We ended up purchasing tourtiere that year, and have continued to do it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen mention of Spy Ring a few times now and it really does sound good. I am glad you liked it, Kathy. Mind Games is on my wish list and I eager to read A Botanist's Guide to Society and Secrets. I've enjoyed the books in the series so far. I hope you are enjoying your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to need to read Spy Ring for sure! I used to really enjoy thrillers, but I find them far too agitating to read now. Like I can't sleep because I'm thinking about the book and need to keep turning pages! I really like how you tally and track your books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many bloggers are trying middle grade books and loving them. I should try some.

    Harvee
    https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You accomplished a lot in April. I tend to get heavy on review books this time of year as well. Hopefully no more misadventures in the kitchen are headed your way. Thanks for visiting my blog last week.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!