Sunday, April 8, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (April 9, 2012)




It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.



The long Easter Break has given me a chance to do more than my usual amount of reading. Luckily, I did not have to travel this break because I came down with a massive cold. I have spend most of my time on my couch reading, blogging and napping while going through a box of Kleenex and using all the other cold remedies in my medicine chest. The good thing is that I am able to get ahead and schedule some posts for my blogs.

Here are the books that I finished this week:
The Fireman Who Loved Me by Jennifer Bernard was a fun romance that I got from Amazon Vine. It is a start of a series. I liked the two main characters in this one and thought the romance was well-done. My review will be posted on April 12.

The China Gambit by Allan Topol was a thriller that I received for review from a publicist. I thought the pace was too rushed and the characterization inconsistent. The dialog was also not very realistic. If you are looking for a fast paced thriller and are will to suspend any shred of belief, this one was a page-turner. My review will be posted on April 14.
I also read a couple of YA books that weren't review books before I tackled the review stack. I had heard good things about the Dragon Keepers middle grade series. I bought a copy of the first book - The Dragon in the Sock Drawer - and was pleased by the story. I have the fifth in the series from Amazon Vine to review too. This review will be posted on April 9.

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally has been sitting on my Kindle for a while. This was a contemporary story about a girl whose first love is football and who wants to play college ball. She doesn't get any support from her professional football playing father which causes issues between them. And her single-minded devotion to the sport is thrown off when a new boy comes to town who is also a star quarterback and who is determined to see her as girl. I liked the story but some of the sexual situations will cause me to direct this one to older young adults. You can see my review here.
I also lowered the Review stack by reading these YA books. Griffin's Fire by Darby Karchut was sent to me by the author. I loved Griffin Rising which was the first book in the series and I loved this one too. I liked that the main character of this paranormal was a boy. I thought the mythology was intriguing. My review will be posted on April 14.

Until Next Time by Amy Lignor was less successful for me. Like Griffin's Fire, it is about angels but I found the storyline very confusing. The way the story shifted around in time confused me. The language was beautiful and lyrical but I am not sure I can tell you what the book was about. My review will be posted on April 12.

Finally this week, I read Rebel Fire by Andrew Lane. This is the second book in the Sherlock Holmes: the Legend Begins series and features a 14-year-old Sherlock Holmes. It was an action-packed adventure that didn't let up for a page and was a book that was hard to put down. I think that any fan of Sherlock Holmes or kids who might become fans will love this series. 
I am currently reading another review book. I got The Prophet (Graveyard Queen) by Amanda Stevens from MIRA books via NetGalley. This is the third book in the series. I love the Gothic atmosphere in this contemporary ghost story.

Next week I have the rest of my April review books on the list. 
I am a huge fan of Amanda Quick and was very excited when I received a copy of Crystal Gardens for review. I love the combination of historical romance and the paranormal that Quick has in each of her stories. 

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa is a new turn from her. I loved her stories about fairies in The Iron King series and I am eager to see how she handles vampires. 

Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf was one that appealed to me at NetGalley. Here is the description:
Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.

When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.

After I finish these I will have read all my April review books and can browse my massive TBR mountain to find a few books that have been waiting. It is nice to be able to choose something that isn't already on the schedule but it is hard too. I have so many books and don't know what I should pick.
What are your plans for the week?

20 comments:

  1. Catching Jordan has been on my shelf for a while too.. I really need to get to it...I've only heard pretty good things about it! Have a great week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover of The Dragon in the Sock Drawer and Rebel Fire got my attention too.
    I haven't read a MIRA title in a while and that is a good idea.
    Ah- I really need to determine a method to lessen the review books so I can read more off my TBR shelves.
    I have several Amanda Quick that I would like to read.
    Enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy you rock! Thank you!

    Catching Jordan looks good, I think I have seen it here on your blog before but now I dont recall where I first seen it. Have a super week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebel Fire sounds good. Sherlock Holmes seems like one of those characters we will be writing and reading about forever, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read any of these but I hope you enjoyed/enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dragon in the Sock Drawer sounds cute. My favorite read this week was Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. Please come see what else I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be interested to see reviews on The Immortal Rules. I could not get into The Iron King series. Breaking Beautiful sounds interesting though. You can check out my Monday here

    http://kyliesreads.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some quiet time on the sofa is never bad! Hope your cold is clearing up now.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey waiting for the review of catching jordan... have to decide if i should start reading it or not... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOoh nice! Hope you enjoy The Immortal Rules!! I really liked that one!

    Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep seeing 'The Immortal Rules' everywhere- the cover scares me with the eye blood! I will be interested to hear your review :-)

    New follower :-)

    My Monday Wrap Up: http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012/04/its-mondaywhat-am-i-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been meaning to read Catching Jordan for quite some time now. I feel overwhelmed with all the books I want to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have several tempting titles this week...thanks for sharing, and enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  14. Married to a former fireman and growing up with a dad who was a fireman I think The Fireman Who Loved Me needs to go on my wish list :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you've had a good reading week! THE FIREMAN WHO LOVED ME looks fun - I'm on a lookout for contemporary romances so looking forward to your review!

    Li

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your YA reads and Immortal Rules I will have to check to see if my library has for Kindle. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can definitely relate to having a hard time picking a book when there is nothing on the schedule. I have about 150 books sitting on my bookshelves that I haven't read and when I am able to read one of them, I end up sitting there completely overwhelmed with the choices.

    I hope you are feeling better soon and that you pick a good book from your stacks!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catching Jordan is one I have been wanting to read for sometime. Will await your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both Catching Jordan and Breaking Beautiful look really good:) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!