Thursday, May 23, 2013

ARC Review: SEAL of Honor by Tonya Burrows


SEAL of Honor
Author: Tonya Burrows
Publication: Entangled Select (May 28, 2013)

Description: It’s a good thing Gabe Bristow lives and breathes the Navy SEAL credo, “the only easy day was yesterday,” because today, his life is unrecognizable. When his prestigious career comes to a crashing halt, he’s left with a bum leg and few prospects for employment that don’t include a desk.

That is, until he’s offered the chance to command a private hostage rescue team and free a wealthy American businessman from Colombian paramilitary rebels. It seems like a good deal—until he meets his new team: a drunk Cajun linguist, a boy-genius CIA threat analyst, an FBI negotiator with mob ties, a cowboy medic, and an EOD expert as volatile as the bombs he defuses. Oh, and who could forget the sexy, frustratingly impulsive Audrey Van Amee? She’s determined to help rescue her brother—or drive Gabe crazy. Whichever comes first.

As the death toll rises, Gabe’s team of delinquents must figure out how to work together long enough to save the day. Or, at least, not get themselves killed. Because Gabe's finally found something worth living for, and God help him if he can’t bring her brother back alive.


My Thoughts: SEAL OF HONOR was an exciting and entertaining romantic suspense title. Gabe Bristow is a former Navy SEAL who has left the service because of severe injuries he got in a car accident. He is at loose ends and pondering his future plans. He knows he doesn't want the desk job his father, the General, has lined up for him but he isn't sure that he wants to turn into a mercenary either. When a friend offers him the job leading a team that does hostage rescues and has a hostage in mind, he agrees to give it a try.

The first problem Gabe faces is the herd of misfits that make up his team. They don't have time to work together to develop teamwork if they want to rescue wealthy American businessman Bryson Van Amee from the Colombian kidnappers who hold him.  An additional complication comes in the person of Bryson's younger sister Audrey Van Amee who is determined to help. She is a free-spirited artist and the complete opposite of Gabe's Type A personality. But sparks fly when they meet.

Gabe and Audrey's relationship grows while they are held hostage by two different groups of bad guys and despite Gabe's determination to keep things professional. Audrey shows courage and determination that wins him over.

The plot was nicely twisty, the characters interesting and well-developed, and the writing was smooth. Fans of romantic suspense will enjoy this story. I hope that Burrows has more adventures planned for this team. I want to learn more about the other characters.

Favorite Quote:
He turned to her. "Could you shoot a firearm and not hit me if the situation came down to that?"

"I was born and raised in the South, honey, but I'm no southern belle. I shoot what I aim at," she said in a tone so coated with sugar he was surprised her teeth didn't rot. Then she flashed a smile as bright as that sinful yellow tank top she wore. "But it's still up in the air whether I'll aim at you or not."
I received this PDF from a publicist at Entangled Publishing. You can buy your copy here

1 comment:

  1. I'm a sucker for romance books but so far this year most of the books i've read are in the YA genre but i will include this in my TBR. I really like romance and interested about Navy SEALs and i think this is gonna be good. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!