Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Memes: The Last Girl by Jane Casey

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting The Last Girl by Jane Casey. I got this mystery through Minotaur Books' Early Reviewer program. It is the third in the Maeve Kerrigan series and will be the first one I have read. Here is the description of this May 21 release:
Vast wealth offers London defense attorney Philip Kennford a lot of things: a gorgeous house with a pool in the backyard, connections in the top echelons of society, a wardrobe worthy of Milan runways. But his money doesn’t provide a happy marriage, or good relationships with his twin daughters…and it does nothing to protect his family when someone brutally murders his wife and daughter in their own home.

When Detective Constable Maeve Kerrigan arrives at the scene, the two survivors—Philip and his second favorite daughter, Lydia—both claim to have seen nothing, but it’s clear right away that this is an unhappy family accustomed to keeping secrets. Maeve soon finds herself entangled in a case with a thousand leads that all seem to point nowhere, and it doesn’t help that her boss, whom she trusts more than almost anyone, is starting to make decisions that Maeve finds questionable at best.

In The Last Girl, Jane Casey once again demonstrates her ability to write vivid, three-dimensional characters and spin a gripping, unpredictable mystery.
Beginning:
She'd been swimming for almost an hour. Her legs felt weak, her arms heavy every time she lifted them out of the water into the night air that still shivered with the heat of the day.
Friday 56:
"Laura didn't stand up," I said quietly. "She didn't even know she was in danger. She knew her killer or she wasn't scared."

8 comments:

  1. Interesting. From those snippets, it sounds like a great book.

    And can I tell you how jealous I am of your blog title? I love that quote from Groucho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an intense case. Thanks for sharing the book beginning to this novel, happy reading!

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book that you won't be able to easily put down. I love getting lost in a great mystery! Both the beginning and Page 56 snippet are attention grabbers.
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely are left wondering what is going on. Great snippets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an intense mystery! I'd read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the image of night air "shivering." This sounds like a good mystery that I'd enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning about a new mystery series. I particularly enjoy mysteries set in countries other than America so I can learn about other places.

    Thanks for posting on Book Beginnings!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds interesting.. both snippets are great teasers for this book.. i am adding this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!