Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Memes: A Study in Darkness by Emma Jane Holloway

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting A Study in Darkness by Emma Jane Holloway which is an eARC that I recently got from NetGalley. It is the sequel to A Study in Silks which I had for review from Amazon Vine. Here is the description of this steampunk mystery:
When a bomb goes off at 221B Baker Street, Evelina Cooper is thrown into her uncle Sherlock’s world of mystery and murder. But just when she thought it was safe to return to the ballroom, old, new, and even dead enemies are clamoring for a place on her dance card.

Before Evelina’s even unpacked her gowns for a country house party, an indiscretion puts her in the power of the ruthless Gold King, who recruits her as his spy. He knows her disreputable past and exiles her to the rank alleyways of Whitechapel with orders to unmask his foe.

As danger mounts, Evelina struggles between hiding her illegal magic and succumbing to the darker aspects of her power. One path keeps her secure; the other keeps her alive. For rebellion is brewing, a sorcerer wants her soul, and no one can protect her in the hunting grounds of Jack the Ripper.
Beginning:
What if the skies never cleared and his quarry slipped past, swathed in cloud like a bride beneath her veil?
Friday 56:
Silently balanced on the balls of her feet, Evelina eased into the room. She saw a minute tightening of her uncle's mouth, but he gave no other indication that he saw her.

4 comments:

  1. Sherlock Holmes? Steampunk? Magic? Sounds like there's plenty of things going on in this book to keep a reader entertained.
    Here's My Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this series. Or if I do, I don't remember. Will have to check it out.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Sherlock?

    Interesting...thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one to review but have not started reading it yet. Here is my Book Beginning at Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!