Sunday, October 13, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Oct. 14, 2013)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

On the Personal Front:
The Red Balloon on Oct. 9, 2013
My road trip to meet Cinda Williams Chima was a lot of fun. I loved hearing her speak, chatting with her, and getting all of my books autographed. Now, I just have to find time to actually read them. They sound like just the sort of books I enjoy too.

However, when I got home I was sick again. The flu made a reappearance and kept me out of work for both Thursday and Friday. I didn't even get much reading done as I didn't feel well enough to concentrate.

Next week, we have a short week at school but we also have long days. Monday and Tuesday there are parent-teacher conferences after school stretching our work day from 7:30 AM to 7 PM. Wednesday is a half day of conferences and then I am heading home to Duluth for the first time since the end of July.

I am eager to get away and have a bag of books to take with me.

Last Week:

I did read three books last week despite being ill.
A Study in Darkness by Emma Jane Holloway was the second book in this steampunk mystery series. I got my review copy at NetGalley. I can't wait for the concluding book in the trilogy which will be out in December. My review will be posted on Oct. 19.

Horde by Ann Aguirre concludes her Razorland YA trilogy. I thought this story was excellent. I loved the characters and the world Aguirre built. I also liked that this post-Apocalyptic story had a happy ending. My review will be posted on Oct. 24.

The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins was a sweet romance filled with quirky characters. I loved the main characters and really enjoyed the secondary characters too. My review will be posted on Oct. 24.

Currently:
I am currently reading my eARC of The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa. I love her writing style and the fantasy world that she has created.

Next Week:

Because I am traveling this week and won't be home until Sunday, I thought I'd plan for two weeks of reading. On the YA side, it is all review books again. My YA calendar is full of review books through November.
Altered by Gennifer Albin is the sequel to Crewel and is a post-Apocalyptic fantasy. I liked the first book and am curious to find out what happens next.

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a contemporary mystery I got from NetGalley. 
Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger was one of the ARCs I was most excited to get at ALA. It has finally made its way to the top of the review stack. 

Extracted by Sherry Ficklin was a surprise in my mailbox. It sounds like an interesting science fiction/time travel book. 

Uncrashable Dakota by Andy Marino is alternate history taking place in 1862 but with the invention of large airships. I got this one from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group. 

I have only three review books on my adult stack so I can finally browse my own TBR shelves for most of my November and December reading. It is so hard to pick when you have 1295 unread books to choose from but I am going to be concentrating on physical books (because it will look like I am making more progress).
Adult Review Books
Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach is science fiction. I got it from NetGalley.

Foreplay by Sophie Jordan will be my first New Adult romance. I got this one through Amazon Vine.

The Widow File by S. G. Redling was also an Amazon Vine pick. This one is a thriller. 

I have wanted to read Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson since it arrived at my house. This is the 3rd book in her urban fantasy series set in New Orleans.

The Eldritch Conspiracy and The Isis Collar by Cat Adams are also urban fantasy and are the fourth and fifth books in the Blood Song series.

In honor of Tom Clancy's death, I thought I would try to catch up on his Jack Ryan series. Dead or Alive has been on my stack since 2010 mainly because of its huge size. Reading one of Clancy's books is a MAJOR COMMITMENT! But I look forward to catching up on what Jack Ryan is doing. Is it strange that I always picture Harrison Ford when I read that series?

Reviews Posted This Week:
That was my week. How was yours? Leave a link and I would be glad to visit.

15 comments:

  1. I've not posted for a week but do so like visiting the blogs to see what everyone else has got and reading! enjoy your reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, you are feeling poorly. May you be back to health soon. I will always picture Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling better. I have only read the first one in Anne Aguirre's series and I did enjoy it. I need to catch up, but I'm bad at keeping up with series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you shake that flu soon. I am so looking forward to reading The Perfect Match. As a teacher too, I know how draining those parent-teacher conferences can be. All the best and hope you get to squeeze in some reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are feeling better and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh nice! I looooved The Iron Traitor, but of course I want the next book like weeks ago!!

    Hope you enjoy all your reads!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have The Perfect Match on my pile to read soon and I can't wait to get to it.

    I love going to author events - it's so much fun hearing them talk and then getting books signed.

    Hope you're feeling better and that you have a good week!
    ~Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're feeling all better! I'm glad you had fun while you were away, though :)

    I loved The Iron Traitor - Julie Kagawa is such a great writer, I'm always completely immersed in her stories.

    Good luck with your long days of teacher/parent conferences.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great week you had for reading even sick. When I'm sick I'd rather sleep then read. You have so many awesome upcoming books. I hope you feel better and have a fantastic week. happy reading!
    Mandy @ The Reading Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no. I'm so sorry you got sick all over again. :( I'm glad you got to meet Cinda Williams Chima, though. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must have been fun to meet an author you like. Nice photo! Too bad you had the flu--reading is no fun with that, but hope you are doing better now. You certainly have a large TBR pile to plow through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Author events are always fun. I've seen her books around, they look interesting. A Study in Darkness and Horde both look good too, will watch for your reviews of those. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you have a lot ahead of you! I still need to read The Iron Traitor and The Iron... I left off halfway through The Iron Prince I think... I should finish that up lol

    Check out what I read this week!
    http://toomanywordstonight.blogspot.com/2013/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's always nice to find a book in the mailbox! Extracted looks good - I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meeting authors that you love is SO exciting!! Wow - SO many books! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!