Sunday, October 20, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Oct. 21, 2013)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

On the Personal Front:

I had a very nice break from school. The weather was great on the drive up to Duluth. I got a chance to eat at Texas Roadhouse that evening. I did lots of reading and visiting and game playing. The drive back on Sunday wasn't quite as pleasant. I had either snow or rain for 2/3 of the trip back. I am glad to be back and eager to get back to work.

Just a few more weeks and then it will be time for our Thanksgiving break. Next time I promised to bring a pie home with me. My brother is a big fan of French Silk which has become our new Thanksgiving dessert tradition.

Last Week:
The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa was an excellent fantasy novel. It does end with a cliffhanger that makes me very eager to read the final book in this trilogy. My review will be posted on Oct. 31.

Foreplay: The Ivy Chronicles by Sophie Jordan was an entertaining romance. It was a familiar trope - girl asks for lessons to seduce the man of her dreams and falls for her teacher - but it was well done with interesting characters. My review will be posted on Oct. 26.
Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach was an entertaining science fiction novel with a well-written "kick ass" female lead. My review will be posted on Oct. 31.

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes was a very good mystery. The teenage characters were interesting. The mystery was exciting. The pace was fast. My review will be posted on Nov. 2.
The Widow File by S. G. Redling was a very fast-paced thriller. I liked the main character who was a young woman who was out of her element when she went on the run being chased by killers but who found hidden strength. The only part that was a negative for me was that I still don't know who the bad guys were. My review won't be posted on my blog until Dec. 26 but you can read my review at Amazon, LibraryThing, and GoodReads now.

Currently:
Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall is an audiobook that I listened to in the car on my trip to and from Duluth. I have been listening to the last disk while writing this post. It is a great urban fantasy story.

Altered by Jennifer Albin is the sequel to Crewel. I am finding this one a little confusing as it has been so long since I read Crewel. I really could have used an "info-dump" to catch me up an the relationships. 

Next Week:
Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy
The Isis Collar by Cat Adams
Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson
Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger
Uncrashable Dakota by Andy Marino
Extracted by Sherry Ficklin

Reviewed Last Week:

Ms. Martin Teaches Media
Teardrop by Lauren Kate
The Cutting Room Floor by Dawn Klehr

Inside of a Dog
The Stranger You Know by Andrea Kane
Kissing Under the Mistletoe by Bella Andre 
A Study in Darkness by Emma Jane Holloway

10 comments:

  1. I started Foreplay and set it down. You have totally isnpired me to go back and pick it back up. I was worried it would be too much of a threeway romance, which I'm a little tired of.

    Have a great week!! It's Monday! What Are You Reading @ the Brunette Librarian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good week and enjoy all your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get so lost with series like Julie Kagawa, because you get a trilogy, then a spin-off trilogy and another spin-off, plus all the e-book novellas and they all have similar-sounding names and I get so confused I don't even bother! Well slight exaggeration, just means I have to do research first! ;) I got The Iron King when it first came out but haven't read it yet, and I got a copy of The Iron Prince last year but since I hadn't read the previous books I never started it. So much to catch up on!

    Oh great to see Curtsies & Conspiracies is out, I loved the first book, such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm I must check out Fortune's Pawn, a kick ass heroine always appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying the spin off trilogy but I wasn't a fan of the original series from Julie Kagawa. Reading The Iron Traitor now. Looking forward to Altered, Crewel was quite different. Not familiar with French Silk, is that a pie filling ?? not something we have in Australia. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is French Silk?

    Have a great reading week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, please tell us what French Silk is...I'm very curious!!!

    Have a great week!
    ~Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh nice! I know! That cliffhanger from The Iron Traitor was just wrong! So wrong! ;)

    Hope toy enjoy all your reads this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good choices. Happy Reading!!
    By the way, we are celebrating 300 Facebook “Likes” on the blog so make sure to stop by and enter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many great books on your list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!