Thursday, October 16, 2014

Book Review: Shifting Shadows by Patricia Briggs

Shifting Shadows
Author: Patricia Briggs
Series: Mercy Thompson
Publication: Ace (September 2, 2014)

Description: Mercy Thompson’s world just got a whole lot bigger…

A collection of all-new and previously published short stories featuring Mercy Thompson, “one of the best heroines in the urban fantasy genre today” (Fiction Vixen Book Reviews), and the characters she calls friends…

Includes the new stories…

“Silver”
“Roses in Winter”
“Redemption”
“Hollow”

…and reader favorites

“Fairy Gifts”
“Gray”
“Alpha and Omega”
“Seeing Eye”
“The Star of David”
“In Red, with Pearls”

My Thoughts: This was a nice collection of novellas and short stories centered around the world of Mercy Thompson. I had read many of them before in various anthologies. But it is a different reading experience to read them back to back.

My only regret is that only one of the stories actually starred Mercy. We get a couple of stories about Samuel and Ariana. We get Charles and Anna's first story which has led to some novels. I really liked the story where Warren takes the lead role - "In Red, With Pearls."

I also liked "Roses in Winter" which features a very young werewolf. It also let me see more of one of my favorite characters - Asil. I have always been fascinated by the idea of werewolves living very long lives and wondering what it would be like at the end of them.

All of the stories were powerful and engaging. All of them add depth to the world of Mercy Thompson. Reading them made me want to dive back in to the novels and re-read them all.

Favorite Quote:
There was a little pause. "Well, good luck with that, then," he said doubtfully, "Call me if you get into trouble. Not that I can help you, but maybe I can learn something to pass on to the next walker who calls to ask me for help."

I think he was teasing, but I wan't sure enough to call him on it. "Will do," I said instead. "It has always been an ambition of mine to serve as an object lesson for others."
I bought this anthology for my Kindle. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!