Monday, October 13, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (October 13, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I had a great week. My friend and I drove up to the Cities on Thursday night for the Epic Reads event at Wild Rumpus. Here is a photo of the panel:
I bought five new books for my HS Media Center and got them all autographed. I also got my picture taken with each author and got their autographs for my author memory book. It had been a long time since I had been to Wild Rumpus. I had forgotten how difficult it was to find parking near it. 

Unfortunately, I had tire issues again on the way to the event. I stopped for gas about halfway to the Cities and the guy who was filling his car at the next pumps called my attention to a low tire. We added air and I called my garage the next day. It looks like they looked at the wrong front tire the first time I brought it in to be fixed. They fit me in after work the next day and, this time, they removed a shingle nail from the correct tire and repaired it. 

This coming week is Parent-Teacher Conferences and then the Minnesota Education Association Convention. That means I'll be working until 7 Monday and Tuesday night and until noon on Wednesday. Then I will have Thursday and Friday off. I usually travel to Duluth but this time I'm staying home. My students have Wednesday through Monday off but we teachers have an in-service day on Monday.

I hope to get lots of reading done since I won't be travelling at the end of the week.
Read Last Week
Caught Dead by Andrew Lanh was an entertaining mystery with an unusual detective. The detective was half American and half Vietnamese and conflicted about not fitting in with Vietnamese culture despite his desire to do so. My review will be posted on October 30.

True Fire by Gary Meehan was an epic fantasy about twin girls and an old prophecy. I liked the twists and turns in the story and liked the main character too. My review will be posted on November 1.
Path of Needles by Allison Littlewood was a police procedural that had some mystical elements. It is told from the viewpoint of a young police officer and a consultant on fairy tales that she brings in to help understand some murders. My review will be posted on November 1.

Otherworld Nights by Kelley Armstrong is the first of three anthologies which will gather together many of the stories and novellas in her Otherworld series. Some are commonly available, many are from obscure publications, and each volume will have a new story too. I like the convenience of having this stories all together. My review will be posted on November 6.
The Book of Storms by Ruth Hatfield was a middle grade fantasy. It was okay but not something I plan to follow. It is the first book of a trilogy. It says something that the character I liked the most was the villain's abused but loyal dog. My review will be posted on November 6.

Currently
The Secret Box by Whitaker Ringwald is from my TBR stack. I bought it because I got the sequel for review. This is also a middle grade story about a girl who gets a strange box for her birthday and, despite the fact that it is sealed, is determined to open it. Thus far, I really like the main character and her sidekick who tell the story in alternate chapters.
Next Week
I am still reading mysteries from my review stack this week for my adult choices. All of these are on my Kindle.

Deeper Than the Grave by Tina Whittle
My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni
With a gap in my review books, I am able to grab a couple of YA books from my TBR mountain this week. 

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
The Eighth Day by Dianne K. Salerni
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
What are your plans for this week? Leave me a link and I'll be sure to visit.

7 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome that you got 5 new books AND got them autographed! So cool! I haven't heard of "The Secret Box" before! I hope you enjoy it! :)

    Here's my Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend, despite the car problem. Been there, done that ugh. Wow, getting to meet 5 authors and getting their autographs too, great! So many good titles to check out above; I already have My Sister's Grave on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bookish event sounds great...and it's good that you got home, despite the tire. I hate anything going on with the car!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like a busy week! I still need to try to work in Otherworld Nights but so far it's looking like I might be reading it release week! Whoops! Hope you enjoy all your reads this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great bookish event! It's wonderful being able to meet so many authors. Sorry to hear about your tire trouble though... I get so frustrated dealing with act issues. Sounds like you have a very busy week ahead, but it will be worth it to have a long weekend at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great event... and glad you didn't get a flat tire! The Eighth Day certainly looks interesting, with a neat premise. Wild Rumpus- love that name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fan book event despite the tire troubles. The Sarah Maas series is on my groaning TBR stack. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!