Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Memes: The Gift of Darkness by V. M. Giambanco

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


This week I am spotlighting The Gift of Darkness by V. M. Giambanco. I got this thriller from Edelweiss. It will be released on November 4. Here is the description:
In Seattle's upscale Blueridge neighborhood, James Sinclair, his wife Anne, and their two small boys are found brutally murdered in their home. Their bodies are carefully laid out: blindfolded, hands tied, and crosses drawn in blood across their foreheads. Above the bedroom door, the words "thirteen days" are scratched into the frame. At the same time, a card with the words "thirteen days" written on it is delivered to the office of powerful lawyer Nathan Quinn, a partner at Sinclair's law firm.

From the evidence found at the scene, rookie homicide detective Alice Madison and her seasoned partner Detective Sergeant Brown determine that the prime suspect is John Cameron, a fugitive long wanted for the infamous Nostromo killings. But only Cameron's attorney knows his whereabouts, and though the clock is ticking, he seems more interested in protecting his client than preventing another murder. That attorney is none other than Nathan Quinn.

Madison and Brown discover the three men are linked in other ways, too. Years ago, when they were just boys, Sinclair, Cameron, and Quinn's younger brother David were abducted. Blindfolded and taken to the woods near the Hoh River, on the picturesque Olympic Peninsula, the three boys endured a night of terror. Only Sinclair and Cameron survived. With no other witnesses, the case went unsolved and David's body was never found.

After a savage attack that leaves Brown in the hospital and Madison working alone, she discovers a flaw in the investigation that puts her at odds with the department brass. To stop the killer, Madison must go back into the woods and confront the unsolved mystery of the Hoh River Boys. She must forget her training and follow her instincts to the terrifying end, even as enemies become allies in the fight against the terrible darkness descending over them all.
Beginning:
On a good night you can smell the sea from way up on University Hill. 
Friday 56:
What would be more helpful? Telling the man that they suspected his neighbor of at least four brutal murders, would that get them his cooperation?

9 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the line from page 56 because I don't think that would probably help, but maybe! Thanks for sharing and happy Friday! :)

    Here's my book beginning this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Beginning made me realize how much I miss the sea! Despite living on an island I feel very far away from it! And this book sounds absolutely gruesome, although I am intrigued! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for sharing :) Hope you have a good weekend! My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would probably read this one because of its setting alone, and I also love thrillers. Seattle makes the perfect location for this kind of mystery. The beginning tells us something about why that is. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE OLEANDER SISTERS”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live near Seattle and would probably read this book because of the setting. The plot sounds compelling too. But I'll admit that I'm turned off by stories in which children are killed. I hope the author handles the situation carefully.
    My Friday post features a much lighter read: Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Friday 56 also entails a thriller teaser :) I had to chuckle at your 56 though and I suspect that such a remark would certainly grab someone's attention :D Have a lovely weekend!

    Here's mine:
    Sparrow’s BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrilling! Thanks for sharing ♥

    Here's mine:
    NYZE@everythingnyze

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good thriller and those excerpts sound really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!