Saturday, May 2, 2015

Book Review: Hot Lead, Cold Iron by Ari Marmell

Hot Lead, Cold Iron
Author: Ari Marmell
Publication: Titan Books (May 13, 2014)

Description: Hot Lead, Cold Iron is the first novel in a brand-new fantasy detective series that will appeal to fans of Rivers of London and The Dresden Files

Chicago, 1932. Mick Oberon may look like just another private detective, but beneath the fedora and the overcoat, he's got pointy ears and he's packing a wand.

Oberon's used to solving supernatural crimes, but the latest one's extra weird. A mobster's daughter was kidnapped sixteen years ago, replaced with a changeling, and Mick's been hired to find the real child. The trail's gone cold, but what there is leads Sideways, to the world of the Fae, where the Seelie Court rules. And Mick's not really welcome in the Seelie Court any more. He'll have to wade through Fae politics and mob power struggles to find the kidnapper – and of course it's the last person he expected.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this urban fantasy about a fae detective in Chicago in 1932. It is told in the first person by Mick Oberon who walked away from faerie for reasons he doesn't share with us and who is surviving in Chicago as a private investigator. The mobs are very busy in Chicago and Mick isn't completely excited to work for a mob wife. However, he needs money to save the building where he lives and the mob has the money.

Mick is hired by Bianca Ottati to find his daughter. Bianca has come to believe that the child she knows as her daughter Adalina is actually a changeling; she wants Mick to track down the daughter that was exchanged for her. Mick has to return to faerie to try to track down the missing girl.

The story has all sorts of twist and turns. Mick is beaten up, shot, and otherwise damaged in many ways. Good thing the fae are tougher than the standard human. I loved Mick's voice as he talked about his life and the case. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Chicago gangs and the fae.

I will be reading Mick's next adventure as soon as it is published.

Favorite Quote:
He was good; very, very good. Even watching as carefully as I was, I almost missed it: a single twitch in the wrinkles beside his left blinker, a quick pressure at the corner of his mouth. I kept gabbing, throwing out a few more meaningless details, but it didn't matter. He knew exactly who I meant.
I bought this one when it was a Kindle Daily Deal. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. oh this does sounds interesting, and I wouldn't mind trying this one sometime, I would like to try more Urban Fantasy sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!