Friday, March 9, 2018

Friday Memes: Under the Shadows by Gwen Florio

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
Lola Wicks slept through her alarm. Again.
Friday 56:
Lola woke to the sound of the wind blustering off the Front, picking up steam as it hit prairie, rolling east with nothing to stop it. Most people hated it. All those old stories about pioneer women losing their minds. Not-so-old stories, too.
This week I am spotlighting Under the Shadows by Gwen Florio. I got this mystery from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
A story assignment becomes a murder investigation for troubled journalist Lola Wicks

Lola Wicks is in bad shape. A family tragedy has nearly flattened her in a way that her years reporting from war zones never did. Her friends, alarmed by signs that Lola is in the grip of a destructive addiction, hope that a freelance assignment will get her back on her feet. The threat of having her child removed persuades Lola to head for Salt Lake City on a puff piece about overseas adoptions. But the story takes a dark turn when the teenager at the center of her story lands in jail facing a murder charge. Setting out to prove the youth's innocence takes Lola to her own dark place, and she's not sure if she'll ever be able to find her way back.

13 comments:

  1. Great excerpts! Now I am intrigued. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mom fighting to keep her child -- sounds like a story I'd enjoy. I like the description in your 56 excerpt too.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ Writing With a Texas Twang

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has piqued my interest--thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to the first sentence. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely intrigued by this one! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am terrible about alarms and get ups. I always worry that I will sleep through them and miss important things. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand her struggle. lol Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds like a perfect murder-mystery. I love it when the protagonist is a journalist. It makes for an interesting read. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder what is the significance of the building on the cover. I like how we see it from an odd angle, as if we were looking up at it.

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cover and snippets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that cover.

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kathy! This looks like a fabulous read! Thanks for sharing . :) I love this cover, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!