Monday, March 5, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (March 5, 2018)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading... 

I'm writing this on a sunny Saturday morning. We've had temperatures hovering around 40 and lots of melting snow this past week. The weather dudes tell me some "interesting" weather is coming though. Rain changing to significant amounts of snow will make for a slippery, wintry mess if their forecasts hold true. A trip to the grocery store is in my near future.

Cross your fingers for me. The closing on my townhouse is scheduled for Monday (today) at 3 PM. I hope this one goes through because I called and cancelled all my utilities and my homeowner's insurance effective Monday. I really don't want to have to call and restart all of them.

Also, I scheduled my tax appointment for late this coming week in the hopes that the snow and ice will be gone by then. Otherwise, next week is appointment free. Since I spent most of last week caught up in a binge re-read of The Others series by Anne Bishop, this week will be spent reading review books and getting back on schedule. I'm still a month ahead on my calendar but two of the three review books I got this week jumped to the top of the line and made me rearrange my calendar.

February Report

I read 30 books last month. Ten of them were mine but only one counts as coming off TBR mountain because I've had it more than six months. Four of them were re-reads. (See Anne Bishop above and below.)

I read twenty review books last month - ten from the adult stack and ten from the YA stack - which sounds pretty impressive except I also added nine new review books which added to the 41 review books I got in January. Fourteen I read this month were mystery/thrillers. I marked twelve book as romances though there is probably some overlap between the two categories for romantic suspense titles. Twenty-five of the thirty books were read on my Kindle.

Read Last Week
  • A Death of No Importance by Mariah Fredericks is a historical mystery told by a lady's maid recalling events that happened in 1910. I enjoyed this story. My review for this April 10 release will be posted on March 31.
  • They Lost Their Heads! by Carlyn Beccia is a middle grade nonfiction book aimed at those who love the gruesome. My review for this April 3 release will be posted on March 30.
After those, I got caught in a rereading binge and read the whole Others series again.
Lake Silence by Anne Bishop
Written in Red by Anne Bishop
Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop
Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop
Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop
Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop

Currently
A Glimmer of Hope by Steve McHugh is my most recent Kindle First book. I chose this one because it is urban fantasy.

Next Week
  • The Stone Girl's Story by Sarah Beth Durst is a middle grade fantasy sent to me by the author. It's April 3 release date moved it to the top of the stack.
  • Bad Neighbors by Maia Chance (April 10)
Reviews Posted

On Inside of a Dog:
Lake Silence by Anne Bishop
Hooked on a Phoenix by Ashlyn Chase
The Policeman's Daughter by Trudy Nan Boyce
A Call to Vengeance by David Weber, Timothy Zahn, Thomas Pope

On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

One for TBR mountain and three for my review stack this week.
Collecting the Dead by Spencer Kope (the second book in this series is on my review stack)
A Glimmer of Hope by Steve McHugh (April 1)
The Stone Girl's Story by Sarah Beth Durst (April 3)
The Lies They Tell by Gillian French (May 1)

What was your week like?

21 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed on your house closing. I'm impressed with how much reading you've done lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for your house! And yeah, the Others series! Lake Silence comes out tomorrow, and I'm going to read it as soon as I can! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed on the house closing and I hope that your weather starts to get less tempermental sometime soon. I recently also had a re-reading binge on books by Tamora Pierce. Just can't get over how much I continue to just love her books. I can't say I ever read The Others though. It awes me how you manage to read such a wide variety of books, it is truly admirable and I'd like to get to that point some day. Happy reading!

    Kris (Words That Fly)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, impressive reading!

    Good luck with the closing on the townhouse...once that is done, you can concentrate completely on the present and the future.

    Enjoy your books...I'm curious about The Lies They Tell.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything goes smoothly on the closing of your townhouse. Anne Bishop is on my list this year to read. Glad to see another recommendation for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the closing- hope it all went through! Hope the weather doesn't get TOO interesting! We don't have snow but it's still cold...

    30 books- wow! And stone Girl's Story looks fun. Lake Silence looks good too, even though I've never read The Others- I like that cover- and I have high hopes for the Gillian French book also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice! I am hoping to get to Lake Silence somewhat soon! Hoping for this month! Lol! Hope you enjoy your reads for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would enjoy so many of these books. My TBR pile is a mountain too. Keep up the great work in tackling yours.

    We are headed for snow this week too. I'm just ready for spring. It has to come soon, right?

    Hope you enjoy all your books. Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were able to get a lot of reading done. I hope your sale went through. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your books look so good. Enjoy them! I hope all went well with your closing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you've done a lot of reading lately! Good luck on the house closing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a great February of reading! Sending positive thoughts on the closing of the house, hope it is final by the time you read this! We are expecting a late season snow storm this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you close? Fingers and toes crossed. I'm really looking forward to reading Bad Neighbors. Then I'll have to give it to my mother in law. She loved the first one. Come see what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Twenty books is impressive by any standard. I've fallen way behind. Life gets in the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy, thank you for stopping by my website (eiencafe.com). It's the first time I'm reading Steve Berry and the second I've read Michael Connelly, I did liked this one, will tell you about Steve Berry later :D
    The flexibility you see in my next reads is because of the Popsugar challenge, I usually read only crime and mystery...
    Wow you read a lot in a week! I can't! I'm a slow reader but what's metter is reading right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many amazing books on your shelves. I hope I also up my reading with retirement. Mine is just around the corner...less than three months.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/03/zen-and-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot get over how many books you read in a month! You've made me really curious about Anne Bishop's books since you rave about them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, thirty books! That's incredible. I have had Anne Bishop on my TBR for what seems like forever; I may have to move them up on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I hope your closing went smoothly! :)

      Delete
  19. Fingers crossed it went well!! Truly Devious was so good!! That end though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is an awesome month of reading. Hope things went well with the closing!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!