Friday, June 8, 2018

Friday Memes: Death and a Pot of Chowder by Cornelia Kidd

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
I never got letters.

Until now.

Oh, sure, electric and fuel bills addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. Burt Winslow" arrived regularly. Too many of those. But they hardly count as personal.
Friday 56: 
"Has that detective figured out who killed Uncle Carl yet?"

"No. But he's working on it. He was here half an hour ago to talk to your dad. Your dad's rifle is missing. Detective Preston and your dad are both concerned about that. Have you seen it anywhere?"
This week I am reading Death and a Pot of Chowder by Cornelia Kidd. I got this eARC from NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
Maine’s Quarry Island has a tight-knit community that’s built on a rock-solid foundation of family, tradition and hard work. But even on this small island, where everyone knows their neighbors, there are secrets that no one would dare to whisper.

Anna Winslow, her husband Burt and their teenage son have deep roots on Quarry Island. Burt and his brother, Carl, are lobstermen, just like their father and grandfather before them. And while some things on the island never seem to change, Anna’s life is about to take some drastically unexpected turns. First, Anna discovers that she has a younger sister, Izzie Jordan. Then, on the day she drives to Portland to meet Izzie for the first time, Carl’s lobster boat is found abandoned and adrift. Later that evening, his corpse is discovered―but he didn’t drown.

Whether it was an accident or murder, Carl’s sudden death has plunged Anna’s existence into deadly waters. Despite barely knowing one another and coming from very different backgrounds, Anna and Izzie unite to find the killer. With their family in crisis, the sisters strive to uncover the secrets hidden in Quarry Island―and, perhaps, the ones buried within their own hearts.

Sure to be an intoxicating read for fans of Sarah Graves and Leslie Meier, Death and a Pot of Chowder is the first Maine Murder mystery by Cornelia Kidd.

13 comments:

  1. I love the sound of the story and the setting. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the premise, but I have to admit I was confused by the first sentence. Does she mean "I never get any letters, just bills"? Somehow I read it as "I don't get why people like letters" the first time. Funny how words do that sometimes. Maybe i was expecting "I never received letters."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smiling to myself here. I KNEW your featured book was a cozy when I saw the title in your comment on my blog. :)

    I always love the titles of cozies.

    Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one I really want to read! I love the sound of it. I hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great cozy mystery! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really good to me! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like my kind of read. It's already on my wishlist. Great choice! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After more than 30 reviews, the ratings and reviews for this book are well abover average, so let's hope that Cornelia won't make you wait too long for the next episode, as you obviously enjoyed the read.

    Those opening lines are good enough for me, as I am really concerned that the rise in technology is contributing big time to the demise in the use of the written word. Handwriting in general is getting much worse, with spelling and grammar almost becoming an irrelevance.

    Getting anything other than the odd birthday or christmas card, is so rare and you can see how anyine housebound might begin to feel isolated. Bring back traditional 'pen friends'!

    I don't read too many of the cozier type murder / mystery, but I do like to have a few as backup should I not be able to decide what to read next.

    Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks and sounds tasty!

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that beginning! It is so true that it is rare to get personal mail. Sounds like a good one. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound really good! I've been craving more cozies recently and will have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing, Kathy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover is delightful, and I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!