Monday, June 11, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 11, 2018)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup. YA and middle grade reviews will still be posted on  Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

Other Than Reading...

Last week was the time for yardwork. Not doing it - hiring it done. My brother Bill was going to buy a spreader and fertilizer but I convinced him to hire someone who actually knew what they were doing. We found that the dead patches in one part of our backyard were caused by bugs not acid from the cedar trees which was what Bill thought. So they came and sprayed for bugs and will return in 30 days to do it again. They also came a day or so later to give the first of three weed and feed treatments.  Right now the dandelions are are looking like they are shriveling up. I'm wondering though if we will need to throw down some more grass seed once the weeds are gone.

I am still waiting for a couple of different landscapers to come give me estimates to do some repairs on a block retaining wall sort of thing that is looking unstable. I also want to add some more plants including two apple trees to the yard. We left two mature apple trees at the old house and miss them already. I'd also like a lilac or two and a rhubarb plant. The first landscaper will be coming on Tuesday and the next a week from Wednesday. They are really busy this time of the year.

This was a great reading week. Everything I picked up really caught my attention and kept me reading. Of course, staying up late to watch baseball since my favorite team was playing in California made my days longer than normal which also made for more reading time. I hope my next bunch on the list for this week are as exciting.

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey - YA that was on TBR mountain since Jan. 17, 2012. My review will be posted on June 25.
  • Now You See Her by Lisa Leighton & Laura Stropki - YA mystery from the review stack. My review will be posted on June 27.
  • Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews - Urban Fantasy from the review stack. My review will be posted on June 25.
  • The Banker's Wife by Cristina Alger - Thriller from the review stack. My review will be posted on June 27.
  • The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager - Thriller from the review stack. My review will be posted on June 28.
  • Somebody's Daughter by David Bell - Thriller from the review stack. My review will be posted on July 4.
Currently
The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber

Next Week

Lots of review books this week as I tackle the tall stack of July releases.
Shelved Under Murder by Victoria Gilbert (July 10)
The Disappearing by Lori Roy (July 17)
Kill the Farm Boy by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne (July 17)
When Life Gives You Demons by Jennifer Honeybourn (July 17)
Nyxia Unleashed by Scott Reintgen (July 17)
Hullmetal Girls by Emily Skrutskie (July 17)

Reviews Posted

On Inside of a Dog:
Death and a Pot of Chowder by Cornelia Kidd
Last Girl Gone by J. G. Hetherton
The Body in the Ballroom by R. J. Koreto

On Ms. Martin Teaches Media:
Override by Heather Anastasiu
The Bird and the Blade by Megan Bannen
Shattered Dreams by Ellie James

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
Set the Night on Fire by Laura Trentham (Review - July 31)
The Prodigy by John Feinstein (Review - August 28)

What was your week like?



14 comments:

  1. I love when every book I pick up engages me. That didn't happen for me last week, but one of them was a winner.

    Enjoy your week. I'm curious about Somebody's Daughter.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog. Good luck with the landscaping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the new owners would let you take some cuttings to root from your old trees? Although, you can buy fairly large trees at gardening centers and will get fruit sooner. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that you can usually take your trees if you disclose it in the listing? Bare minimum, they usually need to allow you to harvest right after you transfer.

    Loads of great books here. It's awesome when you're in that groove of engaging reading. I wanted to read The Banker's Wife but haven't gotten to it yet. Good luck with this week's reading. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! It looks like you've busy reading :)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, somebody really had a busy reading week. Hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a lot of books, I haven't read any of them. I am currently reading a new author for me, Rosie Archer "The Munitions Girls"

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice! Mostly new to me ones here! Though I did really like Kill the Farm Boy! Hope you enjoy all your reads for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We badly need a landscaper, too. There’s so much work to be done in the yard, and it so hot out. I’m glad you had a good reading week. I hope this week is good, too.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hull Metal Girls, Now You See Her, and The Loneliest Girl in the Universe all look great to me. Hope they turn out well. and good luck with the landscaping! I've got a retaining wall on the side of the house that needs work too, and I have to get to it sooner rather than later. Fun times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your workmen came and did their jobs. Sometimes they say they coming and turn up days later and the job seems to be endless in the finishing!
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it really is a lot more beneficial to just hire someone that really knows what they're doing. As you did here.

    What a great reading week - it is a wonderful feeling when you have succession of great reads, isn't it?!

    Happy reading & a lovely week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got Smoke & Iron too and I really need to get back to that series!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiring that out sounds like a really good call. :) Hope you're having a good one!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!