Friday, June 15, 2018

Friday Memes: Girl with a Gun by Kari Bovee

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City ReaderThe Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
Kimi sat at the campfire waiting for the water to boil. She winced as her baby, Winona, latched onto her breast with the greediness of a newborn bird.
Friday 56:
Annie, suddenly self-conscious at the attention Emma had inadvertently called toward the two of them, felt heat rush to her face and her palms grew clammy.
This week I am reading Girl With a Gun by Kari Bovee. I saw this on Edelweiss when browsing and chose it because I like historical mysteries. Here is the description from Amazon:
Fifteen-year-old Annie Oakley is the sole supporter of her widowed mother and two siblings. An expert markswoman and independent spirit, she hunts game to sell to the local mercantile to make ends meet instead of accepting a marriage proposal that could solve all her problems.

After a stunning performance in a shooting contest against the handsome and famous sharpshooter Frank Butler, Annie is offered a position in the renowned Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show. Finally, she has a chance to save the nearly foreclosed family farm and make her dreams come true. But then her Indian assistant is found dead in her tent, and Annie is dubious when the local coroner claims the death was due to natural causes. When another innocent is murdered, Annie begins to fear the deaths are related to her. And to make matters worse, her prized horse, Buck, a major part of her act, is stolen.

Annie soon discovers that the solution to her problems lies buried in a padlocked Civil War trunk belonging to the show’s manager, Derence LeFleur. And so, with the help of a sassy, blue-blooded reporter, Annie sets out to find her horse, solve the murders, and clear her name.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds very good! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually read historical fiction, but I do enjoy westerns and this sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great beginning. Any book that starts with breastfeeding in a historically appropriate way has got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read this! I've always been fascinated by her. And any gal who can handle a weapon like she does is someone I'd like to meet. Perfect cover too!

    My Friday 56 from Safari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fascinating read! I love historical mysteries. Hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a book that I would really enjoy. I love a great mystery. Thanks so much for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw the cover of this book and was intrigued! I like the teasers so you've really got me curious. I think I have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks all kinds of intriguing. Hope you enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annie Oakley is such a fascinating figure. Hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie Oakley - I may need to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!