Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Audiobook Review: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Author:
J. K. Rowling
Narrator: Jim Dale
Series: Harry Potter (Book 1)
Publication: Pottermore Publishing (November 20, 2015)
Length: 8 hours and 18 minutes

Description: Turning the envelope over, his hand trembling, Harry saw a purple wax seal bearing a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger and a snake surrounding a large letter 'H'.

Harry Potter has never even heard of Hogwarts when the letters start dropping on the doormat at number four, Privet Drive. Addressed in green ink on yellowish parchment with a purple seal, they are swiftly confiscated by his grisly aunt and uncle. Then, on Harry's eleventh birthday, a great beetle-eyed giant of a man called Rubeus Hagrid bursts in with some astonishing news: Harry Potter is a wizard, and he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. An incredible adventure is about to begin!

Having become classics of our time, the Harry Potter stories never fail to bring comfort and escapism. With their message of hope, belonging and the enduring power of truth and love, the story of the Boy Who Lived continues to delight generations of new listeners.

My Thoughts: I think almost anyone knows the story of Harry Potter. The movies are ubiquitous. The audiobook was an excellent version of the story. 

I read this one first in 1998 and fell in love with the world Rowling created. I thought then and still think now that the worldbuilding was excellent. The characters were well-developed and well-rounded within their world. 

I was again swept into the author's world as I listened to Jim Dale's masterful reading of the story. It was filled with friendship, action, danger, adventure and all sorts of interesting characters and creatures.

I got this one from Audible Plus during the short window it was available. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!