Monday, August 21, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 21, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

I had a nice quiet week and finished eight books. I only have two left in the Ruth Galloway series and hope to finish those as audiobooks in the near future but maybe not this coming week. My first audiobook of this week will be the fifth in the Amelia Peabody series. This series is a reread since I read the print versions of all of them many, many years ago before I began blogging.

I also have some more September releases from my review stack for this week's reading. I added some review copies from NetGalley too. It started with an email offering me The Tainted Cup from a publisher I don't usually check out. I looked to see what else the publisher was offering and managed to secure a review copy of Emily Wilde's Map of the Otherlands which I had put on my Amazon wishlist as soon as I finished the first book in the series. Then, while I was there, I checked out my auto-approved titles and added a few more from that group. I also checked out my Favorite Publishers and added some review requests. I have 16 books pending and am still hoping to be approved for those titles. Right now I have 44 review books on my stack with release dates from September 19 to February 20.

I didn't try any new recipes this week. My brother and I spent the week clearing the leftovers out of the refrigerator. But I am making a stew today from one of our older cookbooks. The recipe has a note on it from my mother saying how good it was. I'm guessing the note was written somewhere around the year 2000. It is always fun and nostalgic too to find recipes I know my mom cooked. 

My plans for this week are to read and watch Atlanta Braves baseball. We're expecting nice weather after a brief cold streak Monday and Tuesday. But cold only means highs of 69 and 71 which are still quite nice temperatures. The rest of the week temperatures in the high 70s are predicted. It should be a good week for making solar power. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Catch Her Death by Melinda Leigh (Review; September 12) -- The seventh in the Bree Tanner contemporary mystery series. My review will be posted on September 6.
  • Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters (Audible Plus) -- Fourth in the Amelia Peabody historical mystery series. This is a reread after many, many years. My review will be posted on September 28.
  • Chapter and Curse by Elizabeth Penney (Mine) -- This cozy mystery introduces Molly and her mother Nina who have relocated to Cambridge to work in the family bookstore and have some murders to solve. My review will be posted on September 9.
  • Hemlock Island by Kelley Armstrong (Review; September 12) -- A horror novel set on an island in Lake Superior. My review will be posted on September 7.
  • A Treacherous Tale by Elizabeth Penney (Mine) -- Second in a cozy series set in Cambridge and starring a young American who has come to work in the family bookstore. My review will be posted on September 23.
  • The Lantern Men by Elly Griffiths (Mine; Audiobook) -- The twelfth in the Ruth Galloway series. My review will be posted on September 26.
  • The Golden Gate by Amy Chua (Review; September 19) -- Mystery set in 1944 San Francisco which is filled with historical detail. My review will be posted on September 12.
  • The Night Hawks by Elly Griffiths (Mine; Audiobook) -- The thirteenth book in the Ruth Galloway series. My review will be posted on October 5.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

12 comments:

  1. Very nice! I am so behind on Kelley's books it's starting to upset me! Lol! I did read Hemlock Island and really enjoyed that one!

    Hope you enjoy all of your reads lined up for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had an impressive week. Enjoy finishing the Galloway series. I've only read the first three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Vicki Delany's books. You have been a busy reading bee. Have a wonderful week, Kathy ☕๐ŸŒž๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ’›

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just reminded me I always wanted to read Small Kingdoms as I love the author! I always love to see what you are reading and grabbing each week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a nice week. Love making family recipes. Great books this week. Hope you enjoy your week. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those recipes that your mom made are indeed extra special. My mom gave me all of her cookbooks and recipes, but I haven't tried any of them on my own yet. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yikes that is so many books read and to read. Your solar power comment made me stop and I remembered you have it. I am thinking about getting it installed, even dreamed about it last night! It worries me a bit the whole process but anyway. I guess yours gets covered in snow though in winter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a nice week. I like cooler temps like that. A nice break from swelterig heat. I want to read PEabody's books at some point and Murder at Midnight looks great,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for a good, quiet week! I wish I was that on top of my review copies! And boy, I just love Kelley Armstrong's writing! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have such great looking books on your list. The cozies especially have my interest. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love making recipes that I know my mom loved. When we were told we could have something that was my mom's, I asked for her recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many good books! Chapter and Curse is on my radar. I am looking forward to that one. And a quiet week sounds nice. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!