Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Book Review: New Tricks by David Rosenfelt

New Tricks

Author:
David Rosenfelt
Series: Andy Carpenter (Book 7)
Publication: Grand Central Publishing (July 18, 2009)

Description: In this "taut thriller full of whiplash plot twists and wisecracking dialogue," a lawyer will do whatever it takes to make sure an adorable Bernese puppy -- whose owner was brutally murdered -- doesn't fall into the wrong hands (Entertainment Weekly).

Few can rival Andy's affection for dogs. However, the playful new friend he just inherited is valued by several people, many of whom are willing to resort to violence to get what they want. It will take more than Andy's usual courtroom theatrics to save this dog, including a little help from his beloved golden retriever, Tara.

Andy soon discovers that anyone around him is in danger, including his long-time girlfriend Laurie, and he will have to muster all of his wits to save those he holds most dear.

My Thoughts: It all starts when Judge "Hatchett" Henderson assigns Andy a pro bono case: a Bernese Mountain dog puppy is in a custody battle after his owner was murdered. Andy is all for helping find the perfect home for Waggy, a very active puppy.

He happens to be at the home of the widow discussing the matter and meeting the estranged son who is there arguing with his stepmother when the house explodes killing the widow and narrowly missing Andy and Waggy. 

The custody case should be easy except a third party, the former dog show partner of the murdered man, files his own claim for custody of the puppy and the son is arrested for the murder of his father and stepfather. 

Andy takes on the case of the son and needs to prove that he didn't kill his father or stepmother despite all the evidence pointing toward him if he wants Waggy to have a happy home. And it seems that someone wants Waggy dead. An assassination attempt on the dog hits Andy's long-time girlfriend Laurie and almost kills her. 

This story was filled with twists and turns and is also filled with Andy's usual snark. I really enjoyed this story.

Favorite Quote:
"You don't really have to take it anywhere, you know. You won the case."

I think about that for a moment. The way I do my job, the way I've always done my job, is to think of it as a competition, a game. I won't feel like I've won the game unless I figure it out. Laurie already knows this about me, so I smile and say, "The game isn't over yet."

"And if you win the game it means a murderer gets caught," she says.

"That's what makes it a really great game."
I bought this one November 26, 2022. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!