Monday, September 18, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (September 18, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was a quiet week. The skies were mostly gray and gloomy. The temperatures were seasonal with a low one morning of 35 degrees. Our high for the week was 71. We had major thunderstorms run through on Tuesday night which gave us anywhere from 1 to 4 inches of rain depending on where you lived in Duluth. There was some flooding downtown, but we live on top of the hill and didn't have any near us. We probably got closer to the one inch of rain reported by the National Weather Service than the four downtown got.

I didn't read as much as I wanted since I've gotten sucked into another reread of The Others series. Those audiobooks are all around 15 hours long. I couldn't sleep one night, grabbed my Kindle, and looked for something new to read. I found Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros which is really engaging but is also over 600 pages long. I plan to review it on November 1 but need to set is aside for now until I read the books that come before it on my calendar. 

This week's highlights include a dentist appointment on Monday. My brother who had maxed out his vacation hours decided to take this week off to use some of them. He doesn't have any plans that I'm aware of. He'll just be hanging around. 

I stopped yesterday at a food truck that has been on my radar for a while. I bought a sampler of their offerings, so we have plenty of barbecue to last us for a couple of days. BBQ ribs, pulled pork, pulled chicken, brisket and sausages are providing an enticing scent whenever the refrigerator door is opened. 

I'm planning to try out a recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread before my baseball game starts today to help use up some of the quart of buttermilk I bought a couple of days ago. The recipe sounds like one I've enjoyed in the past though that one had sour cream instead of buttermilk. 

Just when I thought I was catching up on review books, I was approved for one title I had requested earlier and decided to look around NetGalley while I was downloading it. Big mistake! Nine books caught my attention and were added to my review stack. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop (Audiobook reread) -- Second in The Others Series.
  • Home at Night by Paula Munier (Review; October 17) -- Fifth in the Mercy Carr mystery series. Great setting, great characters, and an interesting mystery. My review will be posted on October 11.
  • Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop (Audiobook reread) -- Third in The Others series.
  • In the Wick of Time by Valona Jones (Review; October 17) -- Cozy mystery with some magic. I thought it could have used more editing. My review will be posted on October 12.
  • Marked in Flesh by Anne Bishop (Audiobook reread) -- Fourth in The Others series.
  • Claws and Contrivances by Stephanie Burgis (Mine) -- This was a lovely romantic comedy with dragons. My review will be posted on October 14.
  • The Fatal Folio by Elizabeth Penney (Review; October 24) -- Third in the Cambridge Bookshop mystery series. An entertaining and engaging story. My review will be posted on October 17.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

11 comments:

  1. That food sounds wonderful. My husband loves to cook and has a smoker so he makes barbecue a lot. I'm so grateful he cooks for all the big holiday meals. I see quite a few books here I want to read. In fact, I just went and added some to my wishlist on Amazon. I hope you have a great week and enjoy the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time since I saw a book by Elizabeth Lowell. You sure have a love affair with the Anne Bishop books but I know they are great. I've enjoyed them on audio. I loved Fourth Wing and want to reread via audio before next one comes out in couple of months. I have it preordered which is daft because I did it on Amazon and postage here is crazy, but well some readers are crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always you have so many books that I want to read now!!! LOL. The Mercy Carr series (what is that, I need to look it up!), all those cozy mysteries with cats on the covers, and of course, I love Barbara Michaels and could read her books all the time. Have a great week! Enjoy your BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love food trucks and that barbecue sounds excellent! Yum.

    You've got some excellent looking books. Home at Night looks perfect for Oct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food trucks can be fun! I don't do them too often but tend to when I'm at events and such!

    Nice lineup! I still need to read Kessler's book there! I'm massively behind on her books! She's another who seems to write too fast and has so many pennames I can't always remember which name goes with which series! Lol!

    Happy Reading!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! (the 9 new ARCs). The cover of Tinderbox looked like a giant rabbit to me, so I had to click to see what it was about. haha I'm still reading one more summer book, but need to go through my review copies to see what I should be reading. For audio, I've switched over to horror and creepy thrillers for the fall already.
    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food that you didn't have to make yourself? I call that a win. It's been rainy here, too. I have to restrain myself on NetGalley, so totally understand where you're coming from. Hope you have a nice week and that your brother enjoys his time off.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_0318831224.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. 35 degrees already? The food sounds good.
    Ah- rereading The Other series. I like romantic comedy and dragons too. The Rosenfelt book caught my eye too. I need to hop back on NetGalley because I think there was another one coming up I could request. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NetGalley is very dangerous for me. So many great books over there. I hope you enjoy your books. They look like good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad the flooding didn't impact your area. I'm not a member of NetGalley. I have only read one ARC and I'm about to read another one, both of which came directly from the authors. You are well-stocked with lots of great reads! Enjoy! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've catching a reread of the Others series bug, too, since her 2024 release is an anthology of short stories, including a new one of Meg and Simon, so I have to reread! I've only read Crowbones the one time! And oh, the NetGalley rabbit hole! I'm at the point where I look at what is recently added in audio and ebook daily, so that any that I desperately need to read (Aftermarket Aftermath by Seanan McGuire being the latest, reading that today that I'm commenting because I got really behind on blogging) I can put my request in as soon as possible. Otherwise sounds like a good week, quiet is nice! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!