Monday, September 25, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (September 25, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...
This was a quiet week with lots of cloudy, foggy and rainy days. I didn't get as much read as I had hoped but two audiobooks one over 16 hours long and the other over 14 did slow my progress. And Fourth Wing clocks in at 663 pages. All were entertaining but none were fast. 

Since I'm almost finished with my October review books or would be if I hadn't accepted a publicist's offer to add another, I began looking at my November calendar. I didn't have a lot of spaces to fill in since I have 12 November review books and six December review books releasing on December 5. I did add in a couple of Kindle books I got in 2009 to gradually chip away at that collection. I do have room for reviews of five more audiobooks but haven't decided which ones to read. 

I'm running into a problem with my Amelia Peabody rereads. The book order at Fantastic Fiction doesn't agree with the book order at Amazon. I have to decide if I want to reread in the order they were published (Amazon) or according to the internal chronology of the books (Fantastic Fiction). In any case, I've run out of Audible Plus titles and will be using some of my Audible credits if I want to continue listening. 

With the baseball season coming to an end and the playoffs starting I still have lots of baseball to watch. Hopefully, my Atlanta Braves will be taking part in all of the post-season. Adding to my viewing, The Voice is starting a new season too. 

My brother's vacation week is over, but he works today (Sunday) then has two days off again before he resumes his regular schedule. He did try out a couple of new recipes last week but nothing really noteworthy. He had bought a package of spaetzle and forgotten what recipe he bought it for. So, he found a new recipe with pork and mushrooms served over spaetzle. It was good but neither or us really liked the spaetzle which were a little gummy. The leftovers will be served over plain old egg noodles. And since the pork recipe called for whipping cream and he had half the bottle left, he made some fettucine alfredo to go with spice rubbed salmon which is a recipe he's made many times. 

I don't have any appointments this week and should be able to spend a lot of time reading. I'm looking forward to it. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop (Audiobook Reread) -- The conclusion to The Others series kept me engaged for 16 hours and 21 minutes. No new review is planned for this rereading.
  • Snow Place for Murder by Diane Kelly (Review; October 24) -- New lodge owner Misty has rented her lodge to a London Property investor who wants to convince his guests to invest in his new resort. When he is found dead, Misty investigates. My review will be posted on October 18.
  • Deadly Tides by Mary Keliikoa (Review; October 24) -- Set in the Pacific Northwest, this thriller is as much about grieving the loss of a child and the breakdown of a marriage as it is about investigating the fates of two missing men. My review will be posted on October 19.
  • The Hippopotamus Pool by Elizabeth Peters (Audible Plus; Series Reread) -- I spent 14 hours and 29 minutes in Egypt circa 1900 with Amelia Peabody and her family. My review will be posted on October 24.
  • Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros (Mine) -- Excellent fantasy but at 663 pages quite a time commitment. My review will be posted on November 1.
Currently
Next Week
  • Blood Sisters by Vanessa Lillie (Review; October 31) --Just got this one this week because a publicist offered it and it sounded good.
  • The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry - I have the Kindle and the Audible Plus version. I'm not sure if I'll read with my eyes or my ears.
  • True Fiction by Lee Goldberg (Mine) -- I have the Kindle by may at the audio since it is available for $3.18.
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

11 comments:

  1. I can see why you added Blood Sisters. That sounds like one I need to grab when it is released. I talked my friend into doing a buddy read of The Others series next year. The first 3 books will be a reread for me and then I will finish out. I also see the author has a new book of short stories coming out soon and there are a few tales from the same world which have me interested. I'm not a baseball fan but we are huge football fans in our house - college and pro, so I understand the time it takes to keep up with all the games. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously thinking of trying the PEters book. I've never read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard wonderful things about Fourth Wing but I'm not sure I want to put that much time commitment into 1 book right now. LOL. Though I am really enjoying murder mysteries right now and that Snow Place for Murders sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to your Braves. My team is already out of the post season so I'm not as vested as I usually am. I've heard good things about Fourth Wing but it's just too long for me. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been cold and rainy here. Pretty soon I will build an ark. We are looking forward to hockey season. Hope your Braves do well in the playoffs. Unleashed Holiday looks cute. Hope you enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Fourth Wing was big pages but I flew through it. Katherine over at I Wish I Lived in a Library listened to it at 1.7 speed and said that was about right. When I reread via audio I think I'll try that. Yuck your weather sounds like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hardly reread books as there are so many I haven't read even once as yet! Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting ready for a once in a blue moon re-reading myself in the next week or two! I plan to reread Stephanie Garber's books so I can be ready for the third book which releases at the end of next month. Trying to plan it perfectly so I finish book 2 right before the final one releases! Lol.

    Hope you enjoy your line up of reads for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so tired of clouds and rain!
    Enjoy your week of reading! I'm moving into fall reading mode -- darker stuff -- but have been on edge in real life, so may not be the smartest thing for me to add more tension through my reading. May need to revisit the TBR plans! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never heard of spaetzle before, so I looked it up. Interesting! I used to watch The Voice, but stopped watching it a few years ago. On live t.v., Hallmark is pretty much all I watch now. Have a great rest of your week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah for a quiet week! Fourth Wing is a long read, I hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!