Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Book Review: Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin

Once Bitten, Twice Shy

Author:
Jennifer Rardin
Series: Jaz Parks (Book 1)
Publication: Orbit (October 8, 2007)

Description: I'm Jaz Parks. My boss is Vayl, born in Romania in 1744. Died there too, at the hand of his vampire wife, Liliana. But that's ancient history. For the moment Vayl works for the C.I.A. doing what he does best -- assassination. And I help. You could say I'm an Assistant Assassin. But then I'd have to kick your ass.

Our current assignment seemed easy. Get close to a Miami plastic surgeon named Assan, a charmer with ties to terrorism that run deeper than a buried body. Find out what he's meeting with that can help him and his comrades bring America to her knees. And then close his beady little eyes forever. Why is it that nothing's ever as easy as it seems?

My Thoughts: The first in the Jaz Parks story introduces a CIA assassin partnered with a vampire as they try to keep the villains from unleashing a great evil on the world. 

I enjoyed the complex character of Jaz Parks and enjoyed gradually learning about the events that made her the person she is in this first novel about her. I liked her smart-ass personality and her, sometimes, inappropriate sense of humor. I liked her equally complex vampire partner. 

The worldbuilding was intriguing as it was just a tweak on our world with the addition of vampires. 

Favorite Quote:
My nerves were running around like earthquake victims, screaming hysterically and ramming into each other, causing no end of damage and helping me not one damn bit.
I bought this one July 16, 2009. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!