Monday, September 9, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (September 9, 2024)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

September has started out cooler than average here in my part of Minnesota. I didn't feel well and mostly lived on my couch this week which was great for my reading. I began feeling a bit better as the weekend advanced and managed to get out for a long overdue haircut. 

I did very little cooking or eating, but did make hamburger gravy which was always my favorite school lunch both as a student and as a teacher and is still a comfort food for me. Served with creamy mashed potatoes and green beans, it hit the spot. Bill also made a chicken stir fry since he was feeling a need to get more vegetables into our diet. Today, after a lunch of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, we are using his Christmas gift and having a pizza for dinner. We are getting a little behind on using those coupons. This is actually August's pizza. 

I have a clear calendar for next week and plan to do a lot of reading and listening. If things go as I plan, I'll finish all of my October review books this week. With so many review books on the calendar, I've been rereading favorite audiobooks instead of listening to anything new that I'd have to write a review for. I'll probably do a couple more audiobook rereads this week too. 

Read Last Week
  • Old Detectives Home by Mike Befeler (Mine since April 24, 2023) -- A retirement home filled with fictional detectives and staffed by mystery authors investigates the death of a man who was hired to help people write their memoirs. My review will be posted on September 28.
  • The Night Woods by Paula Munier (Review; October 8) -- A very pregnant Mercy Carr gets involved in solving two murders during Vermont's mud time. The story includes a warrior's journey home, PTSD, and game theory and is centered around the journey of Odysseus. My review will be posted on October 3.
  • Gathering Mist by Margaret Mizushima (Review; October 8) -- 2024/10/08 Mattie and her K-9 Robo are called to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington when a 9-year-old boy goes missing. Joined by her fiancé Cole after another dog is poisoned, the two have to battle the bad weather and worse terrain if they want to find the child who didn't wander off on his own. My review will be posted on October 2.
  • Finding Mr. Write by Kelley Armstrong (Mine since August 19) -- Kelley Armstrong writes her first contemporary romance which was an engaging and humorous story. My review will be posted on October 5.
  • The More the Terrier by David Rosenfelt (Review; October 15) -- Latest Andy Carpenter mystery has Andy defending a young man who adopted one of the rescues from Andy's foundation. My review will be posted on October 8.
  • Amongst Our Weapons by Ben Aaronovitch (Mine since April 13, 2022) -- Combination read/listen of the ninth book in the Rivers of London series. My review will be posted on October 1. 
  • Death at a Scottish Christmas by Lucy Connelly (Review; October 15) -- Third in a series. American transplant Dr. Emilia McRoy gets involved when a musical icon dies after performing at the local pub. My review will be posted on October 9.
  • People in Glass Houses by Jayne Castle (Audiobook Reread) -- Another entertaining paranormal romance. 
  • Guild Boss by Jayne Castle (Audiobook Reread) -- Another entertaining paranormal romance. 
  • Long Time Gone by Hannah Martian (Review; October 15) -- LGBTQ+ PI Quinn comes back to tiny Wonderland, Wyoming, when the aunt she hasn't seen for eight years goes missing. Dual timeline mystery has Quinn solving a 40-year-old mystery which has ties to her along with her aunt's disappearance. My review will be posted on October 8.
  • Buried Lies by Steven Tingle (Review; October 15) -- Down on his luck and depressed PI is hired to prove that the death of a real estate lawyer who died after being hit with a golf ball was murder. My review will be posted on October 10.
  • After Dark by Jayne Castle (Audiobook Reread) -- First Harmony paranormal romance. 
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:

Bought:
What was your week like?

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Your meals sound delicious. I saw Death at a Scottish Christmas at another blog today too. Love seeing the holiday books come out. Hope you have a great reading week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-sep-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gathering Mist sounds good. I love that part of the country. We just watched an old X-Files episode last night set in the Olympic Forest and it made me realize how much I miss it.

    I have Aaronovitch's first book in that series on my TBR but haven't gotten to it yet. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad that you are feeling better and could still read when you were sick (this is often not the case with me). Have a great week! Here is my Monday post: https://www.thathappyreader.ca/monday-matters-109-what-im-reading-screen-adaptations-and-more/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list, as always! I lost a couple of pounds at the beginning of my illness last week, but think I put them back on, indulging in ice cream every night the second half of the week!
    I'm eagerly watching for the next Ben Aaronovitch audiobook to be available from the library. It's the spin-off series with Thomas (?) Somebody. Love the Rivers of London series on audio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, but glad you are doing better now. Good luck with finishing your October books. You have some good ones on your list. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you're feeling better! Being sick is never fun. Especially if it's the "too sick to read" kind!

    Nicely done on your reading though! Lots of new to me ones here but I hope you enjoy all the reads lined up for this week!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Almost finished with your October reads! I bet you were a fantastic employee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved hamburger gravy back in the day! Your books look good.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!