Thursday, September 15, 2011

Book Review: Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh

Archangel's Blade
Author: Nalini Singh
Publication: Berkley (September 6, 2011)


Description: Trying to discover the identity of a murder victim brings together the vampire Dmitri and a hunter for the Guild, Honor. And as the gruesome murders continue, a lethal sensuality explodes between them.


My Thoughts: Honor is a Hunter who is trying to recover from being kidnapped and held prisoner by some vampires for two months. She was hurt every way a person can be hurt but she survived. When the story begins she is being forced out of her new secure rut and sent to meet with Dmitri because she has a knowledge of ancient languages. A recent vampire corpse was found with a tattoo written in an unknown language.


Honor begins by being very afraid of any vampire and especially afraid of Dmitri. After all, Dmitri has made himself the most feared vampire in New York. As a second to the Archangel Raphael, he has had to be this way to control the other vampires in the city. But, while Honor is afraid of Dmitri, she is also fascinated by him. Dmitri begins to admire her too but doesn't believe that he has a heart to give her. His heart still belongs to the wife and children that he lost 1000 years ago. 


This story tells a lot of Dmitri's backstory and helps us understand him and know how and why he is the way he is. Even though Honor is still traumatized by her captivity, she is still very strong and brave. This is what first intrigues Dmitri. Soon he begins to aid her in finding and punishing those who held her captive. Together, the two of them try to solve both crimes - her captivity and the deaths of newly-Made vampires.


The book was filled with lush sensuality with a hefty dose of cruelty. The whole Angel-Vampire world seems to run on cruelty and harsh punishment. I liked that Honor was able to overcome the trauma that she suffered and I was glad that Dmitri was finally able to overcome some of the trauma that he had suffered too. I am already looking forward to the next book in this series. 


Favorite Quote:
Instead of shying, she leaned into his touch. "You're my man."

You're my man.


The echo of Ingrede's words tangled with Honor's, but then, his wife had been tender of heart, too. He'd protected that heart with all his strength...and he knew that despite the deep weakness she created in him, he would do so once more with Honor. It was a strange thing, to feel such tenderness again, to know he was capable of it. "Come. It's time to beard the monster in his den."
I bought this one at Amazon. In fact, I pre-ordered it. You can get your copy there too. 

1 comment:

  1. Great review Kathy! I have this in my TBR pile and can't wait to get it to! Among all the other books I can't wait to read either! Had forgotten that this was going to be with the other characters, but still am super excited to read it now especially after reading your awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!