Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (Sept. 12, 2011)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Well, the first week of school is in the books. I forget each year how sore my feet are after a day of standing and walking. I don't wear shoes all that often in the summer and my feet send protests each fall when I have to again. The kindergartners are adorable, the sixth graders enthusiastic, and the senior high kids are getting used to their new netbooks. Hopefully, we will have all the bugs worked out and all the students will finally have theirs and have caught any problems. This should make life in the media center slightly less chaotic.

I did get some reading done but not as much as I had hoped. Last week I read:
One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost which is the latest in the Cat & Bones series. They need to find out how to kill a ghost who is a serial killer. Here is my review.

Dead End in Norvelt is a new middle grade novel by Jack Gantos. I got this one for review but wasn't really enthralled with it. It lacked adventure or any real excitement. The language was wonderful but not much happens. My review is here.

Archangel's Blade by Nalina Singh had enough action and excitement to make up for the Gantos book. It also had a hot romance and well-written and well-rounded characters. I love her Guild Hunters series and this one was a great example. My review will be posted on Sept. 15.
I am currently reading another review book. This one is on my Kindle from NetGalley. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson is a young adult fantasy. Elisa is a chosen one, born to do some great task, but she is also the neglected younger princess. When she is sixteen she is married to a king from another country and sent off to live with him. The country is under threat from invaders who are especially interested in gaining control of her. This story is very good so far. 

Next week I plan to read a couple more reserve books and maybe even get to some of the ones on last week's list. First up are the review books:
The Last Dragon by Jane Yolen is a graphic novel. I am not a big fan of graphic novels but am a big fan of dragons and Jane Yolen. This one should be good.

Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barrett is from Amazon Vine. It is based on the myth of the minotaur and is a romance too. Again, it should be good.

Left over from last week are:
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

But they may be set aside again because New York to Dallas by J. D. Robb comes out. This is the latest in her Eve Dallas-Roarke series and will be read as soon as possible after it arrives. 

Those are my plans. What was your week like?

9 comments:

  1. The Girl Of Fire and Thorns sounds great! Enjoy Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one book this week, the first week of school for me. You read four or five! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower here!

    I'm super excited about reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Dark of the Moon looks like a fantastical read as well.

    Here are my Monday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I have The Last Dragon as well and I'm in the same boat, very hopeful!

    Hope you have a fabulous reading week and if you get a second stop my to see what I've been reading at There's A Book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You did get quite a bit accomplished last week! Me, not so much. Nowhere as good as I usually do. Caught a cold and am still a little under the weather. :(

    Here's my My Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those first few weeks of school - getting used to being on your feet, having to wait until break to use the bathroom, etc. But it was always fun meeting the new kids and getting back into the swing of things. Hope you have a great year!

    I love Nora Roberts, but never got into the JD Robb books - might have to check them out one day.

    Stop by and see what I have going on this week at Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Last Dragon has a pretty cover.

    Three-quarters of what I read this week was in the form of children's picture books. Please come see what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to both the Singh and the Robb. Lots of fun reading here!
    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!