Monday, April 7, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (April 7, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Baseball season has begun. That must mean that Spring is around the corner. Our sleet/snow mix on Friday that caused some schools north of us to delay or close makes it sort of hard to believe though. The weekend has been warmer and melted away most of the new snow. I had a quiet week with no meetings or appointments and so managed to get quite a bit of reading done.

I am excited for next week as I will be traveling north to spend the night at my brother's house and celebrate his birthday on my way to Grand Rapids for the Spotlight on Books conference. This year the weather looks better. I ended up snowed in last year and didn't get out of Duluth until Saturday afternoon. The temperature is supposed to be 48 to 52 degrees on my travel days this year but my winter coat and snow boots are still going in the back of the car!

The one disadvantage of the conference is that it will cut into my reading time. I'll be traveling on Thursday evening and Friday morning and again on Saturday late afternoon. In between times, Friday afternoon and evening and all day Saturday will be filled with conference activities. I am hoping to fit in a couple of hours of reading but that will likely be the most until I get home late Saturday evening.

Read Last Week
Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong is the beginning of a new young adult fantasy series. I enjoyed it but it left lots of questions to be answered in the rest of the trilogy. My review was posted on April 5.

The Chance by Robyn Carr was an interesting romance that was the fourth book in a series but the first one I read. My review will be posted on April 10.
House of Ivy & Sorrow by Natalie Whipple was another young adult book. This one blends contemporary life and hereditary witchcraft complete with a spell that has haunted the heroine's family for generations. I enjoyed this one too. My review will be posted on April 10.

I dug into my TBR mountain for Up from the Grave by Jeaniene Frost which concludes the Cat and Bone series. I thought this brought the series to an excellent conclusion. My review will be posted on April 12.
Otherwise Engaged by Amanda Quick was an engaging historical mystery. It was classic Quick without any hint of the paranormal that has been filling her more recent titles. It still had Quick's quirky characters and dialog. My review will be posted on April 17.

Panic by Lauren Oliver was a young adult contemporary. It was a gritty story about a game that recently graduated seniors play in secrecy and with utmost seriousness. I liked the main characters and I liked the potentially happy ending. My review will be posted on April 9.

Currently
I am currently reading The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa which is the concluding book in her vampire trilogy. I always enjoy Kagawa's writing and characters and this book is no exception.

Next Week
First I have a couple of YA review books from Edelweiss

The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones and Ursula Jones (April 22)

Project Paper Doll: The Hunt by Stacey Kade (April 22)
Next I have a couple of Amazon Vine picks

The Taking by Kimberly Derting (April 29)

The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen (July 8)
Finally, if time permits, I have a couple from my own TBR mountain.

Who Needs Enemies by Keri Arthur

Foolish Games by Tracy Solheim

Reviews Posted


What does the coming week look like for you? Leave me a link. I'd love to visit.

20 comments:

  1. I loved the Virgin River series by Robyn Carr but haven't branched out to any of her other books, yet. I'll be interested to see your review!

    I also have the Julie Kagawa series on my TBR and have heard it's fantastic. I'm hoping to read it soon.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Seems like we have some similar tastes in books - I look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start The Taking and I hope you enjoy House of Ivy & Sorrow, because I did!

    Check out what we are reading this week.

    Also, today is the last day to enter Legend + Prodigy paperback giveaway

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever read the one book from Frost, but I'd like to catch up at some point.

    Thanks for checking out my mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might read The Chance as I have another Roby Carr yet to read and hear she is a very good storyteller. Have a good week and enjoy your travels. Hope all the snow is gone for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of any of these books (and that's a lot of books) I will have to check them out.

    Have a great time at the Spotlight on Books conference and I hope the weather is kind to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're going to have a super fun week. So many good books, always some on my reading and wishlist. I've got 2 Cat & Bones books to go, savouring the last of the series lol.
    Travel safe and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice selection of books! Thanks for reminding me about Amanda Quick--I haven't read any of her books in ages, so I must remedy that.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and enjoy your conference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you have a good time at the conference. Can you take an audio book during your travels? That would help getting through some more books!

    Sorry to hear you still have winter weather every now and then. We're into summer (well, this is the Netherlands, it can be summer one week, then winter the next - even in summer (slight exaggeration)).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of good books...ENJOY!!

    THANKS for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to reading Forever Song next week!

    Have a great week Kathy,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am looking forward to your review for House of Ivy and Shadow because that book looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad the weather is nicer, and enjoy the conference! Safe travels. I'm going to give Panic a try based on all the reviews I've seen...it sounds good. and I may try Julie Kagawa too as I hear very good things about that series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOoh nice! Sounds like you'll have fun this weekend!

    Loooved The Forever Song, hope you're enjoying it! Who Needs Enemies was also very good!

    Looking forward to reading The Taking and Sea of Shadows too! Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man! I'm glad you enjoy books such as Up From The Grave. I'm not a fan of the Night Huntress but it was a fun distraction . I hope to read the Forever Song soon. I gotta pick and choose my YA books carefully cause some of it is soooooo wrong for me :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to hear about your conference. I'm off to mine tomorrow! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You had a fantastic reading week. I need to read more of Armstrong's books and Sea of Shadows really looks awesome. Enjoy your upcoming books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A good week! enjoy this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great variety in your reading choices - there are a few reviews lined up that I look forward to reading.

    Happy Reading!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got to get to my ARC of Sea of Shadows soon. I love Kelley Armstrong, I met her recently and thought she was so nice!
    Thanks for stopping by my It's Monday! Post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry for getting back to you so late in the week, but I hope you enjoyed/are enjoying The Forever Song. I haven't read Julie Kagawa yet so I'd love to know what you thought :)
    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier this week.
    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!