Monday, August 1, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 1, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

The storm cleanup continues as does the search for a house or land to build one. The insurance adjuster was here on Friday. He decided that we need a complete new roof on the house and gave us a first check for half the cost of re-roofing. Now my brother will be looking for a roofing contractor and getting on the list to have this done. I'm sure the list will be long. There was a whole lot of damage from this storm.

I have found some land that I think will work to build a house and am going with my brother to meet my realtor and the listing agent to get a more detailed look at it Monday morning. My brother and I drove to it and looked on Thursday but we aren't at all clear where the lot lines are.

As if to make up for the storm, our weather this week has been excellent. It has been clear, sunny, and in the 70s all week. This is the sort of summer I like best!

Read Last Week
This week I was concentrating on reading my early September release review books.

Shadow Falling by Rebecca Zanetti was an Amazon Vine book. It is a dystopian/urban fantasy romance. It was pretty good but I could tell that it was a second book in a series because there wasn't a lot of back story given about the world situation. My review will be posted on August 27.

My Wild Irish Dragon by Ashlyn Chase is a paranormal romance. Chloe is a dragon shifter and Ryan is a Phoenix. They are both firefighters and their romance is hot too. My review will be posted on September 1.
I couldn't resist reading Illusion Town by Jayne Castle when it arrived last Tuesday. I needed my fix of futuristic romance complete with dustbunnies. This one was fun. My review will be posted here on October 5 but is already up at Amazon, GoodReads, and LibraryThing.

Roadside Assistance by Marie Harte was a contemporary romance which was a little on the gritty, crude side. I did like the characters and thought the situation was interesting. The language almost threw me off though. My review will be posted on September 3.

Currently
I am currently reading Uptown Thief by Aya de Leon. This is a July 26 release. I am having a little trouble with the concept of former prostitute turned thief to support her health clinic for other sex workers but the writing is good.

Next Week

Next week is heavy with review books too.
Project Elfhome by Wen Spencer is a story collection centered around Elfhome. It will be released on September 6.

The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst will be released on September 20. It is the first book in a new fantasy series.
Hard to Hold by Katie Rose is a new sports romance that will be released on September 13.

After those I'll be reading Front Runner by Felix Francis from my TBR mountain. This one is a mystery.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

I added three new books to my review stack.
  • Uptown Thief by Aya de Leon
  • All the Little Liars by Charlaine Harris - a return to Aurora Teagarden releasing October 4.
  • Cast in Flight by Michelle Sagara - the twelfth book in the Chronicles of Elantra series releasing Oct. 25.
  • I bought a Kindle copy of The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold because it was a deal this week. I already have the hardcover and the paperback.
  • Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen arrived this week too. I have been meaning to begin this series.
  • Illusion Town by Jayne Castle was released this week and immediately moved to the top of my TBR stack. 
To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

18 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the storm and your house. Glad you are ok. I have been absent for a few weeks. My mother passed away, and I didn't feel like visiting blogs.

    I hope all goes well for you with the repairs and the house and land search.

    Hope you can get in some reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness no one was hurt in the storm. Her Royal Spyness caught my eye. I hope you enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about all the storm damage. It's so frustrating to deal with, but I'm thankful nobody was hurt. Hope you don't have to wait too long for repairs. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the continued storm cleanup and not yet finding a house/land. Good luck with what you have found and your meetings about it! Hopefully it will work out.

    I've seen a lot about that Amanda Bouchet and I'm looking forward to getting a copy of that one when it is released. I enjoyed your review.

    Have a look at my #IMWAYR

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about the storm and your home! Wishing you the best of luck on the search for land/building the new home!

    These are totally new to me reads! Hope you enjoyed and enjoy them all!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the home repairs! My parents in Colorado had significant damage from a bad hail storm this week and they have to have the house re-roofed and repainted and the deck sanded down and redone. They even had a shattered window! I sometimes get bored with the weather here in Hawaii, but at least we don't have to deal with the cleanup after bad storms!

    The cover of "The Queen of Blood" totally has my attention! I've been integrating more and more fantasy books into my reading selections lately and I'll have to look that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stopped by your blog today. Sounds like quite an undertaking. Our weather has been brutal in the last couple of years throughout the U.S.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get your roof sorted. Lots of books this week. The Charlaine Harris caught my eye. I enjoyed the other Aurora Teagarden books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be interested in your thoughts on the Sarah Beth Durst book. I really enjoyed one of hers a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's too bad that you have to have a new roof, but it's great that everyone is safe. I'm looking at a new roof soon, myself. Ugh. Yay for finding land!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry about the bad storm, but thankfully you have insurance. Having new home built is a lot of work, but at least you get to customize everything.




    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to try Marie Harte's books. They look good. So does the Jayne Castle book. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear you're having to cope with storm damage on top of your house hunting.

    Looks like another successful reading week for you. Enjoy your new books - and the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got a whole lot of reading to do!

    Let me know what you think of Her Royal Spyness. That series has been on my radar for a while, but I'm not sure if it's worth my time/money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear. Hope the damage repair goes quickly.

    Glad to hear you may have found some land!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear about the storm damage. That is no fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your house or land hunting is successful. So sorry to hear about the storm damage but I am glad you and brother are okay.

    I am glad you liked Bluebonnet Betrayal too.
    You have several series that I have eyed, like Rebecca Zanetti. I like The Jayne Castle futuristics and Her Royal Spyness is a fun historical series.
    You also have a couple of authors with rather sexy authors.
    Happy Reading in all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The storm cleanup sounds like such a challenge! I hope all goes well.

    You have a great haul....enjoy them all! I keep wondering about Rhys Bowen. I like the covers and blurbs of her books. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!