Monday, November 28, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Nov. 28, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

Well, my Thanksgiving plans were derailed this week. After three years of remission, I had a Crohn's flare up. I spent 6 hours in the Emergency Room on Monday and then rested at home the rest of the week. I saw my gastroenterologist on Friday and have begun a course of steroids to try to put the disease into remission again. I have twelve weeks of the steroid and then more tests in March. If this treatment doesn't work, we'll have to reassess.

On the positive side, I got a lot of reading done both in waiting rooms and at home. This week I should finish my whole 2016 calendar since the books I'm planning to read will show up on my blogs late in December.

We finally had our first measurable snowfall this past week but warm temperatures have melted it away. Our ground is bare as I'm writing this. We are even expecting a couple of sunny days and warmer than average temperatures for the next few days. I am not a big fan of winter driving and appreciate any snow-free day we manage to have. Winter in Minnesota is long enough even without snow in November.

Read Last Week
At What Cost by James L'Etoile was a fast-paced thriller pitting Detective Penley against someone killing people for their organs. This case hits home for him because his son is waiting for a kidney transplant and the killer knows it. My review will be posted on December 8.

A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn is the second Veronica Speedwell mystery. I love the Victorian setting and the unconventional Miss Speedwell. My review will be posted on January 12.
Time of Death by Lucy Kerr has a woman coming back to her small town to take care of her sister. Frankie is an ER nurse who ran from her small town as soon as she could leaving behind a family business and a fiance who wanted to stay. She needs to investigate the hospital to save her license when she's accused of negligence in caring for a man having a heart attack who subsequently died. My review will be posted on December 10.

Forgotten City by Carrie Smith is the second mystery starring cancer survivor and police detective Claire Codella. This time she's investigating the unexpected death of former Broadway star Lucy Merchant who was in a posh nursing home suffering from Alzheimer's. This was an excellent mystery with well-developed characters. My review will be posted on December 15.
Ill Met by Murder by Elizabeth J. Duncan was a cozy set in the Catskills. The sleuth is a theatrical costume designer with a cute corgi companion. This one features dognapping and shade real estate deals. My review will be posted on Dec. 17.

Currently
I am currently reading Coffin Road by Peter May. This is also a review book.

Next Week
Next week I'm hoping to squeeze in Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen before I go back to reading review books.

I have The Golden Gate by Robert Buettner and Midnight Obsession by Melinda Leigh from my review stack. Both of these will be released on January 3.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
Two Kindle Deals caught my eye this week:
Two more got added to my review stack this week:
To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

17 comments:

  1. It's always amazing t me how much reading you're able to get done in a week! It's inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so sorry about your flare-up. I like how you put a positive spin on it by talking about how much reading you got done. That's the way!

    Enjoy your books. I can't wait to get When All the Girls Have Gone...it's coming tomorrow!

    I want Midnight Obsession, too.

    Thanks for sharing...feel better soon! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for books to get us through the rough patches. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, how disappointing to have a flare up after being well for so long. Unpleasant to the nth degree. You read so much, I don't know how you do it and work as well. I have the JAK on my radar, most likely will listen to the audio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your flare up. I hope your recuperation goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your flare up. I have a number of family and friends who struggle with Crohn's, and it is just horrrible. I hope the steroids do their job quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your flare-up and that it interrupted your Thanksgiving plans, but at least it gave you plenty of reading time. You always have such a great amount of interesting looking books in your lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you haven't been well. I hope the steroids put the disease back in remission. A cozy set in the Catskills sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! So sorry to hear about that! Hope you're more on the mend now! But yay for reading time! That's always a positive! I've found reading always brings the doc to you faster because they always come in mid chapter! LOL! Hope you enjoy the reads this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry you had a flare-up, I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow. Sorry you had a flair up. I hope the steroids do the trick for you. That's not a wonderful way to get in a lot of reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. You always look on the bright side ("I got a lot of reading done!") Hope things get better soon, health-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well! Hopefully they will get it figured out soon.

    I also have my books read and reviewed for most of the remainder of the year.

    Thanks for stopping by:)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  14. A perilous undertaking sounds right up my alley. I hope you feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about your flare-up! I hope the meds will put you back in remission. At What Cost sounds intriguing. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear about your flare up. I hope you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear about your flare up. I hope it's under control again. :( Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!