Saturday, December 3, 2016

Book Review: Enemy Games by Marcella Burnard

Enemy Games
Author: Marcella Burnard
Series: Enemy Series (Book 2)
Publication: Berkley; 1 edition (May 3, 2011)

Description: Kidnapped while combating a plague, Jayleia Durante fights to resist the attractive Major Damen Sindrivik, an officer from a rival government's spy corps. But with her father missing, and mercenaries on her trail, Jayleia must join forces with the magnetic major-for the good of the empire.

My Thoughts: This science fiction romance has a hearty dose in intrigue and interstellar war. Jayleia Durante is an scientist working to find the cause and cure for a disease that is devastating a planet when she is kidnapped. Her father who is a spymaster has gone missing and her kidnapper, Damen Sindrivik, is sure that she knows where he is.

Jayleia's people and Damen's are very reluctant allies in a war with the insectoid Chekydran. They are currently losing the war because some of their people have allied with the Chekydran, Jayleia's father may have the clue to who the traitors are.

Jayleia and Damen are busy fighting traitors and their own attraction to each other. Both are keeping major secrets and finding trusting to be almost impossible. I liked the way their attraction grew as they battled so many who wanted to either kill them or capture them.

I liked the portrayal of the characters. The aliens were really alien in thought and behavior. I liked Jayleia who had a difficult childhood torn between her warring parents and used as a pawn by both of them. She developed into a strong person who took the best from both her parents to forge her own character.

This was an entertaining science fiction romance.

Favorite Quote:
"I love you," he said. "I prefer you not die for me. Live, instead."

"That complicates things."

"It usually does."
I bought this one in 2013. You can buy your copy here.

2 comments:

  1. I was waiting to hear what you thought about this book. I'm still on the fence about it. Darn it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this series. I will check into book one.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!