Monday, December 26, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 26, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

I'm sitting writing this in the living room of my new house. My drive up on Thursday was blessedly uneventful. It was warm (for Minnesota) and sunny the whole way. I got home to an empty house since my brother was working but this time he hadn't locked me out. I got all unpacked and relaxed until he got home from work at 11 PM and then we talked until 1 AM. It was a long day for someone who got up at 6 AM.

I brought a cold home with me. My cough has been joined by a runny nose. I brought all kinds of cold remedies with me and hope I'll be finished with it before I need to drive back. Sneezing, coughing and blowing my nose while driving requires more coordination than I possess.

I'm writing this on Friday afternoon and watching the wind blow and large snow flakes get blown around by it. We're supposed to get less than an inch of snow in this event. The big one is apparently waiting for Christmas Day into Monday afternoon. Good thing I don't have to be anywhere else for those two days.

I brought home two print books and Kindle full of books. I can easily fill my time reading and trying to find things my brother has put away. I need to learn my way around a new arrangement in the kitchen. I opened every drawer before I found a spatula to flip my egg at breakfast.

I was hoping to bring some empty boxes back with me so that I can begin my packing. However, since Oct. 22, he has only emptied about ten - the kitchen stuff. All his many boxed of LPs and CDs are still waiting for him to find time to empty them.

We're going to do one more walk-through of our other house in Duluth to make sure we've taken everything we want while I'm home this time. Next stop, hire someone to do an estate sale to get rid of the rest of the things in that house!

Read Last Week
Southern Gothic by Dale Wiley was a spooky story within a story. Fans of contemporary Gothic fiction will enjoy it. My review will be posted on January 19.

Archangel's Heart by Nalini Singh was a recent arrival on my Kindle. I always enjoy her writing and chose this one after abandoning a review book that was just to florid and wordy for my tastes.

Currently
I'm currently reading Dawn Study by Maria V. Snyder which is the third and final book in the Study series but includes characters from her other series too. This is the ninth book I've read that's set in this fantasy world.

Next Week

I'll be starting with these two from my review stack but hope to read a couple more too.
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews is the newest book in their Innkeeper series. I had to have a copy since I enjoyed the others.

Kale to the Queen by Nell Hampton is a cozy mystery with ties to British royalty something of keen interest to this American.

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

12 comments:

  1. The saga of your houses intrigues me, and I like reading about each phase of your transition. Combining into one new household, moving from previous households...it sounds exciting and maybe a little stressful. But an adventure. Enjoy!

    I'm curious about Killing Jane. Enjoy your books, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we're both nursing a cold. It's the perfect excuse to slow down. Have a restful week and enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the middle of packing myself for a contemplated move end January. I sincerely hope this is the last move ever in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I sooo need to get caught up in the Guild Hunter series! So behind! Yay Dawn Study!! LOOOOVED that one!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kale to the Queen is on the list American's list as well! I read a Julie Hyzy series where the main character was executive chef for the White House and I imagine that this would be just as fascinating though completely different! Killing Jane looks really good too. Good luck with your move and finding boxes! I had good luck with calling grocery stores and getting boxes there. A lot of them didn't work but a lot did and they were free. If you know anyone who works at a Target or clothing store those are really great boxes. Good luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got Dawn Study on my TBR pile, I hope you're enjoying it.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your cold--a lot of people (myself included) have been struggling with Christmas colds. I swear I get one every single year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of great books you've read this year! I need to read some Kelley Armstrong books!

    Here’s my It’s Monday, What are You Reading!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the move. Hope you get some time to read this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you are feeling better quickly. Glad the drive went well, enjoy your time off and hope it involves plenty of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your week is going well and you are feeling better now! Snow and books sounds like a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, gosh, Kathy, I hope you're starting to feel better! I know it's got to be SO cold up there; stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!