Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? (Jan. 2, 2012)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.


Christmas Break gave me a lot of wonderful reading time. I finished seven books this week and most of them were from my review stack. Here they are:
I received Cinder by Marissa Meyer for review from Macmillan. This is Meyer's young adult debut novel and I thought it was excellent. This is a combination of science fiction and fairy tale re-telling that really worked for me. I can't wait for the rest of the trilogy. My review is here. You don't want to miss this one when it comes out on Jan. 3.

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey is the second in the series that began with Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. It was a well-written young adult paranormal that was told from a variety of viewpoints. I received this ARC from the Amazon Vine program. My review will be posted on Jan. 5 and the book will be published on Jan. 10. 
Next I read a couple of self-published titles that have been sitting on my Kindle for review.

Human Blend by Lori Pescatore is a young adult paranormal. It was an exciting story that blended science fiction and romance. It used non-standard paranormal types. Our heroine - unbeknownst to herself - was the result of combining alien DNA with human. One of the other main characters was an Earthling - child of the Earth. My review will be posted on Jan. 7.

Lowcountry Punch by Boo Walker was an adult thriller about a DNA agent who retreats to his home town after killing a good friend (gone bad) and being dumped by his fiance. He meets a new woman and goes undercover to break up a cocaine network in his home town. This was was an exciting story with an interesting main character who we get to know quite well as the story is told from his point of view and in the first person. My review will be posted on Jan. 12. 
These two were not on the review stack but were on my massive TBR mountain.

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory was on my Kindle. I won it in a contest in Oct. 2010. The author published it on CreateSpace. I decided to read it now because it is the first in the Jolie Wilkins series and I just accepted the third in the series for review from the Amazon Vine program. I thought it was all right but could have used some editing in the middle portion of the story to focus the story more. My review will be posted on Jan. 7.

Future Perfect by Suzanne Brockmann is a reissue of a romance she wrote in 1993. It was a pleasant read that had the characteristics of all Brockmann romances - likable characters and a hot romance. My review will be posted on Jan. 5.
Drink Slay Love by Sarah Beth Durst was a review book that I received just after the book was published in August and just as the new school year started. I set it aside and didn't get to it until now. This one was a lighter young adult paranormal. Young vampire Pearl is staked by a unicorn and develops the ability to be out in daylight (which she loves) and a conscience (which she hates). This one was a good story with just enough "scary" to satisfy younger readers and just enough romance to satisfy older ones. My review will be posted on Jan. 12.

I am not currently reading anything. But here is what is on the top of the stack for next week:
On the adult side, two more review books are waiting for me.

The Thorn and the Blossom by Theodora Goss was an Amazon Vine pick. It is a sort of literary curiosity as it is accordion folded allowing (demanding) that it be read from each side. Each side is from the viewpoint of one of the characters in the romance - sort of like "choose your own adventure" but for adults. This one will be published on Jan. 17.

Amongst My Enemies by William F. Brown was sent to me by the author. This one is self-published. I did read another of his books - The Undertaker which was a good thriller. I look forward to reading this one too. It came out on Dec. 12.
On the young adult side I have these two.

Dreamland by Alyson Noel is the third book in her Riley Bloom series for middle graders. I won a copy of this and thought I would read it before I donate it to my Media Center.

Last, I hope to finally get to Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. This is the third and final book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. This one came out in July and I even went on a road trip to see Maggie and get it signed but, somehow, it never got to the top of the TBR.

Speaking of road trips, a friend and I are hoping to head to the Twin Cities Friday evening to attend the release party for Bloodrose, Andrea Cremer's third and final book in her Nightshade trilogy. Our trip will certainly depend on the weather but we are hopeful that we will get there. 

What are your plans for the first week of 2012?

12 comments:

  1. The Thorn and the Blossom looks fantastic - I love books with awesome names like that and a cover to match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great week for you! A friend of mine just read Drink Slay Love and said I'd like it - hopefully I'll get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a good week! Amongst My Enemies looks interesting. I just listened to Linger so I will be getting Forever soon too! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to your thoughts on The Thorn and the Blossom. I hope to read Cinder and Drink Slay Love soon.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!
    Yo have a lot of great reads coming up and have just finished a bunch too!

    Wishing you a great reading week and a fun time at the Bloodrose release party!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd out

    ReplyDelete
  6. A happy new year to you and a good reading week. Like the cover of The thorn and the Blossom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Maggie Steifvater series is really good :) Glad its made its way to the top of the TBR pile!

    Happy 2012!

    http://brunettelibrarian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover of The Thorn and the Blossom. It looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure read a lot of books during Christmas break. I love how you add a bit of information on every book about when you received it, when you read it, and what you thought about it. Human Blend sounds interesting, as does Drink. Slay. Love. Happy reading!


    It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may have to pick up a copy of Drink Slay Love. It sounds pretty cool and UNICORN! Looks like you have a wonderful week ahead of you! Happy Reading!

    http://mustreadfaster.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-are-you-reading-monday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking book! Low Country Punch grabbed my attention. Enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have The Thorn and The Blossom? OOH - that's on my wish list! Happy New Year Kathy!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!