Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book Review: Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Cold Days
Author: Jim Butcher
Publication: Roc; First Edition edition (November 27, 2012)
Description: HARRY DRESDEN LIVES!!!

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn’t all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. After Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn’t about to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now, her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, and no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first?

Of course, it won’t be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could land Harry in the sort of trouble that will make death look like a holiday.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own…His soul.

My Thoughts: This latest in the Harry Dresden series is packed with action and emotion and the stakes are higher than ever for Harry. This book is not one for a newcomer to the series, though. It seems to me to be very necessary to read at least CHANGES and GHOST STORY before tackling this epic volume because threads woven into those come together in this book.

Almost anything I say about the plot of this book could constitute a spoiler and, even though the book has been out since November, I don't want to ruin the plot for anyone. I think that I can safely say that despite becoming the Winter Knight and being tasked with killing Maeve, Harry is still unmistakably Harry. He is always ready with a smartass remark no matter how inappropriate the situation might be for one. And Harry is always willing to put himself in the line of fire if it means protecting those he loves. He is also constantly battling to be Harry and not be taken over by the mantle of the Winter Knight.

The writing is powerful and emotionally intense. I found myself needing to take breaks from this story to decompress even though I was very eager to find out what happened next. The book is very descriptive and filled with characters out of myth and nightmare. We also see characters we have become familiar with from earlier books in the series—Harry's vampire brother Thomas, Harry's apprentice Molly, Butters, Mac,  Toot Toot, and even a little bit of Mouse.

Fans of urban fantasy have to get to know Harry Dresden. I highly recommend this series and this book. 

Favorite Quote:
"You can have your harem change out the bandages later," I said. "How busy are you today?"

"Oh," he mused. "I don't know. I mean, I've got to get a new shirt now."

"After that," I asked, "would you like to help me save the city? If you don't already have plans."

He snorted. "You mean, would I like to follow you around, wondering what the hell is going on because you won't tell me everything, then get in a fight with something that is going to leave me in intensive care."

"Uh-huh," I said, nodding, "pretty much."

"Yeah," he said. "Okay."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here

1 comment:

  1. I definitely need to do some catchup reading with Harry Dresden! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!