Saturday, June 1, 2013

Book Review: Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris


Dead Ever After
Author: Charlaine Harris
Publication: Ace Hardcover; First Edition edition (May 7, 2013)

Description: THE FINAL SOOKIE STACKHOUSE NOVEL 

There are secrets in the town of Bon Temps, ones that threaten those closest to Sookie—and could destroy her heart....

Sookie Stackhouse  finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clearcut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated.

Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime.

But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough…

My Thoughts: I don't have much to say about this story except that I was satisfied with the conclusion. Even though I have been avoiding other reviews for fear of spoilers, I have heard enough to know that there are a variety of opinions about the way Charlaine Harris chose to end her series. I thought that she kept the story true to Sookie's character.

I liked seeing some favorite characters and some villains make a reappearance in this story. I felt satisfied with where those characters were. I was glad to see Mr. Cataliades and Diantha play a major role in this story. I really liked getting a chance to catch up with Quinn too. A brief appearance by Alcide let us catch up on his life too. 

I thought that the part of the story that dealt with Sookie's relationship with Eric ended up the only way it could given both Sookie's and Eric's characters. It gave Sookie a good chance to demonstrate her resilience and show that, despite all that happened to her through the series, she was still a good Southern girl. "Steel magnolia" wouldn't be a bad description for her. 

Throughout the series Sookie lost a lot of the innocence that she began the series with. Each new type of supernatural and each new thing she learned about her own heritage rubbed off some of the innocence but left a much stronger person. 

Read it and then go back and savor the whole series again. That is what I plan to do.

Favorite Quote:
"Karin is called the Slaughterer."

"Well, that's silly. The Slaughterer's just...cumbersome. 'Karin the Killer' would be way better."

If Bill had been prone to such gestures, he would have rolled his eyes. "Sookie..."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here

3 comments:

  1. I've read the first six Sookie novels, I think. And then I've just not gone back to the series. I may pick it up again just to see how it ends.

    Great review.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I've been reading reviews of this as well since I have yet to get around to reading it! Most have been good, I've avoided spoilers as well. I have a feeling I might know where the ending is headed to. Guess I will have to read it and find out! Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only review I've read of the last book, and for some reason I'm feeling nostalgic, even though I haven't read it yet. Thank you for not spoiling!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!