Friday, July 31, 2015

Friday Memes: Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Marty Wingate

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Marty Wingate. I got this cozy mystery from Alibi via NetGalley. Here is the description from Amazon:
After her romantic idyll with the debonair Detective Chief Inspector Christopher Pearse culminates in a marriage proposal, Pru Parke sets about arranging their nuptials while diving into a short-term gig at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. At hand is the authentication of a journal purportedly penned by eighteenth-century botanist and explorer Archibald Menzies. Compared to the chaos of wedding planning, studying the journal is an agreeable task . . . that is, until a search for a missing cat leads to the discovery of a dead body: One of Pru’s colleagues has been conked on the head with a rock and dumped from a bridge into the Water of Leith.

Pru can’t help wondering if the murder has something to do with the Menzies diary. Is the killer covering up a forgery? Among the police’s many suspects are a fallen aristocrat turned furniture maker, Pru’s overly solicitous assistant, even Pru herself. Now, in the midst of sheer torture by the likes of flamboyant wedding dress designers and eccentric church organists, Pru must also uncover the work of a sly murderer—unless this bride wants to walk down the aisle in handcuffs.
Beginning:
Three boys in school uniforms, their ties askew now at the end of the day, edged their way over the imaginary line drawn on the pavement by the police constable.
Friday 56: 
"I believe that last entry was February 16, 1794, when they left Hawaii," Pru said. "The entire return journey on the Discovery—more than a year—all missing." Iain didn't look at her as she spoke, and so she turned to Alastair, who slid the book across the desk to her.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I love stories with lots of suspects that make it challenging to guess who did it. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the description of the boys pushing the line however they can. How typical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun cover and snippets. Another mystery I will have to watch for. Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good story in a lovely setting. I'd like to get to know Pru. She sounds like a fascinating character.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first one of these and really loved it. I love the blurb for this one and can't wait to read it. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems like a really good book. And I also like a lot of people who you need to choose from. So much more fun to try and figure out who-done-it! I will be putting this on my HUGE TBR list!

    Here are mine: http://afoldinthespine.weebly.com/home/the-friday-50-1
    http://afoldinthespine.weebly.com/home/book-beginning-friday-1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mysteries and this one sounds intriguing. Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Nadene@ Totally Addicted to Reading

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this sounds so fun and such a clever cover too. Another new cozy series! Thanks for stopping by my post and sharing this wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing snippets!!!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is on my list to read in August. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds intriguing, a nice mix of whodunit and wedding planning. I like the description of the boys at the beginning, I can just picture it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!