Monday, July 27, 2015

Sunday Post/It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 27, 2015) #IMWAYR

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.
It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet reading week. The weather has been hot and humid (at least for Duluth) making me grateful for air conditioning and good books.

Read Last Week
I took two off TBR mountain this week for my first two reading choices.

Heart of Brass by Kate Cross was an entertaining steampunk thriller/romance that begins a series. I enjoyed the world building and the characters which led me to purchase the rest of the series. My review will be posted on September 12.

Dragon's Kin by Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey had been on the mountain since sometime before Feb. 19, 2008. (I began my LibraryThing account then and scanned in all my books over the course of a few days.) This is a story of the early days on Pern and, with the main character being eleven, would be a great into to Pern for middle schoolers and young adults. My review will be posted on September 16.
Dark Waters by Chris Goff was a great thriller that I got for review from Crooked Lane Books. It takes place in Israel and is filled with the twisted politics of that region. I liked the characters, the twisty plot, and the setting. My review will be posted on September 9 for this September 15 release.

The Heat of the Moment by Katie Rose is the third book in her Boys of Summer romances. This pairs up a star baseball player traded to the Sonics after an injury and the trainer who wants to get him back in shape. This one also had great characters and nicely spicy love scenes. My review will be posted on September 17 for this September 22 release.
Bengal's Quest by Lora Leigh is the latest (30th!) in her Breeds series. This was an entertaining paranormal romance for fans of the series. My review will be posted on Sept. 19.

Breaking a Legend by Sarah Robinson was a review book from Loveswept. This was a great romance with well-rounded characters and an interesting plot. My review will be posted on Sept. 24 for this Sept. 29 release.

Currently
Having caught up on review books for a while, I'm back to trying to lower TBR mountain. Dragonsblood by Todd McCaffrey is his first solo effort in the world his mother built. I've had this on on my stack since before I added all my books to LibraryThing in February of 2008.

Next Week
Dead Ice by Laurell K. Hamilton is the latest book in her Anita Blake, Vampire Slayer series. I got this book when it was released in June and want to read it before my summer vacation is over.

Live to See Tomorrow by Iris Johansen is a romantic suspense title (or maybe a thriller) that has been on my stack since Sept. 24, 2014. It is the third book in a series. I have, but have not read, book 1. I have read books 2 and 4.
Kitty Steals the Show by Carrie Vaughn has a werewolf for a main character. It is part of a long-running series. This is the tenth book. I bought it July 7, 2012. Since book 15 is being released on August 4, I am really behind.

Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent is the first in an urban fantasy/paranormal romance series. I added it to my stack on August 31, 2011 because I had read and enjoyed other books by the author. I also have book two but not book 3 in this series.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

This read one-buy two (or more) strategy is not helping me lower TBR mountain but when I read a good first book in a series, I have to have the rest of the series.
Breath of Iron by Kate Cross is the third book in the Clockwork Agents series. I bought it for my Kindle.

Touch of Steel is the second book in the Clockwork Agents series. This is also a Kindle book.

Valour and Vanity by Mary Robinette Kowal is the fourth book in her Glamourist series. I bought the hardcover because I couldn't resist the lovely cover. Also, it was a deal in Amazon Marketplace.

After reading a couple of books from the new publisher Crooked Lane Books, I went to NetGalley and asked for these three more.
Dark Waters by Chris Goff is a thriller that will be released on September 15.

Nine Lives by Wendy Corsi Staub is a cozy mystery that will be released on Oct. 27.

Dark Turns by Cate Holahan is a romantic suspense title that will be released on Nov. 10.

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

10 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed books by Wendy Corsi Staub, so I would probably like Nine Lives. Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, for a quiet week, you sure read a lot! Hot and humid weather always makes me really lazy and sleepy, so I'm trying to get through this summer. You know, I absolutely adore Rachel Vincent, yet I haven't rad the Unbound series yet. I even have the first two books! I hope you enjoy all of these fabulous reads! Have a great week!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My It's Monday! post

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. You have some great looking books. Where are you going to start? LOL Thanks for stopping by fundinmental.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I also have Heart of Brass...I'll have to look. It's been hot here in Austin, too. What a great reading week it's been for you! I wish I could say the say the same for mine. :)

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blood Bound intrigues me. Hope you enjoy your reading and upcoming week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh nice! I love Rachel Vincent's books! Still need to read Stars Never Rise and then Menagerie later this year! She's a fave author of mine! Hope you enjoy your reads for the week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dark Waters and Breaking a Legend look interesting, though I haven't read anything by those authors. Enjoy your new books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really excited to start Blood Bound. You have some great books up there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember enjoying Thornyhold so much that I checked it out and read it multiple times from the library. That's probably a sign that I should own it. I do have some birthday gift cards burning a hole in my pocket... Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heart of Brass looks good, very nice haul this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!