Monday, July 20, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 20, 2015) #IMWAYR

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet week with lots of reading time. With my car in the shop for a minor repair from Monday morning until Wednesday afternoon, I took advantage of not being able to leave home to read down some more books from TBR mountain.

Read Last Week
I read Here I Stay by Barbara Michaels which has been on my TBR mountain since 2008 and was written much earlier than that. It was a spooky story about spirits hanging around an old house and influencing the new residents of the house. My review will be posted on September 2.

Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett begins a new urban fantasy series. The main character is a powerful human magician who tends a bar frequented by demons. There is a romance. There is also danger and betrayal. My review will be posted on September 3.
I read Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett which is the second book in the Arcadia Bell series and has events which immediately follow the events of the first book. I enjoyed this story and ordered the next two books in the series for my Kindle. My review will be posted on September 9.

Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong collects 23 of her short stories and novellas. I like the convenience of having her works gathered for me. I liked the stories that told more about the characters of her Cainsville story the best. My review will be posted on September 10.
Next I decided to read the two mysteries I got for review this week from Crooked Lane Publishers.

Plantation Shudders by Ellen Byron was an excellent cozy that takes place on a plantation turned bed & breakfast in Louisiana. The characters were interesting and the plot was nice and twisty. The recipes included also sound good. My review will be posted on August 5 for this August 11 release.

No Virgin Island by C. Michele Dorsey was also an entertaining mystery. This one is set on St. John in the US Virgin Islands and features a woman fleeing scandal who wants to start a new life. But a murder in one of the villas she manages threatens her new life. This one also had engaging characters and a nicely twisty plot. My review will be posted on August 12 for this August 11 release.

Currently
Being in the mood for steampunk, I pulled Heart of Brass by Kate Cross off TBR mountain. I have had this one on the stack since May 1, 2012.

Next Week
Dead on the Delta by Stacey Jay has been on the TBR mountain since October 31, 2014. This urban fantasy begins a series.

I thought I'd visit Pern again this week by reading two books that have been on TBR mountain since 2008. Dragon's Kin is the first book that Anne McCaffrey wrote with her son Todd as her co-author.
Dragonsblood by Todd McCaffrey will be my second visit to Pern this week.

The Heat of the Moment by Katie Rose is a review book on my Kindle. I chose to review this one because I like sports romances and one of the main characters of this one is a baseball player.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Again, I sabotaged my efforts to lower TBR mountain by buying too many books.
I bought the next two books in the Arcadia Bell urban fantasy series for my Kindle.

Banishing the Dark by Jenn Bennett
Binding the Shadows by Jenn Bennett
I bought the next three books in the Glamourist Histories series though only two have arrive so far.

Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal
Without a Summer by Mary Robinette Kowal
On the occasion of the publication of the third compilation of Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe stories, I decided to buy copies of all three compilations for my Kindle. I already have print copies of Volumes 1 and 2 but much prefer reading on my Kindle these days.


I received an email on July 13 from a publicist for Crooked Lane Books, a new mystery publisher, which asked if I would be interested in reviewing some of their upcoming releases. I chose two and received finished hardcover copies on July 17.
Plantation Shudders by Ellen Byron is the first novel in her Cajun Country Mystery series. Look for my review on August 5.

No Virgin Island by C. Michele Dorsey is the first novel in her Sabrina Salter Mystery series. Look for my review on August 12.

Both books are being released on August 11. I have rearranged my blogging calendar so that I can post these reviews near to the books' publication dates.

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

9 comments:

  1. Kindling the Moon has been on my Shelf for a long while but I haven't gotten to it yet,
    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like twisty plots. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to be "stuck" in the house with our books?

    Enjoy this reading week.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOh nice! Read Led Astray a few weeks ago! I liked it too! Some of those stories were pretty creepy! But I loved it!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extra reading time is always a good thing. Enjoy your reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to be stuck at home for a few days overdosing on books lol.
    The covers of the Glamourist Histories books are gorgeous. Have a great week and enjoy your wonderful line up of books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to get a book off your shelf from 2008! Some books do seem to get passed over and then one day their day comes. Keep enjoying your summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are getting to your TBR shelf. Wish I was. :-)
    I hope your car is fixed nicely.
    I picked up Plantation Shudders at NetGalley - I'm glad to hear that you liked it. I plan to read it for August.
    Heart of Brass looks interesting.
    Enjoy all of your books with Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure if the internet swallowed my comment....

    Interesting mix of books this week. I'm pretty sure I have Dead on the Delta waiting to be read. You also reminded me I need to read Led Astray myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!