Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book Review: Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Skinwalker
Author: Faith Hunter
Series: Jane Yellowrock, Book 1
Publication: Roc; Original edition (May 22, 2009)

Description: Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...

My Thoughts: The first Jane Yellowrock introduces a new heroine to urban fantasy. Jane isn't totally sure what she is. She is some kind of shapeshifter by doesn't know her own history. She can turn into a number of different creatures but her most common is one she calls Big Cat. Jane hunts vampires for a living.

Jane has come to New Orleans to hunt down a rogue vampire who is killing both humans and vampires. She is also hoping that one of the old vampires will be able to tell her what she is. Jane is working for the vampire council and gets much more deeply involved in vampire politics than she would prefer.

She keeps running into a guy she call the Joe. Actually Rick LaFleur keeps turning up and Jane isn't at all sure what to think of him. Beast is interested in him because she wants Jane to have kits. Jane doesn't trust him.

Jane spends a lot of time searching for the rogue who is very confusing. She searches by scent in both her human and Beast form but the scent of the rogue keeps changing. She begins to think that he might be a skinwalker like she is. Along the course of her investigation she meets a shaman named Aggie One Feather who has information about skinwalkers that helps Jane understand a little more about herself. Also, Jane has some memories surface that tell her more about her past too.

Jane is a kickass heroine. She's tough, smart, determined, and smart-mouthed. She is also conflicted about what she is and searching for answers. This is the first of what is currently a nine book series. I'll be reading more.

Favorite Quote:
Beast had once informed me that humans were hunters only by luck and because they had opposable thumbs. Otherwise they were prey. And not very tasty at that. I had been to scared of the inference to question her further. I really didn't want to know if I/we had eaten humans. Really, really didn't.
I bought this one for my Kindle on July 13, 2009. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. This is a series I have been interested in. This has been in my Audible library for some time. Now I will be looking for time to listen to it. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!