Friday, October 9, 2015

Friday Memes: Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal. This is a sequel to Shades of Milk and Honey which I really loved. Here is the description from Amazon of this Historical Fantasy:
Mary Robinette Kowal stunned readers with her charming first novel Shades of Milk and Honey, a loving tribute to the works of Jane Austen in a world where magic is an everyday occurrence. This magic comes in the form of glamour, which allows talented users to form practically any illusion they can imagine. Shades debuted to great acclaim and left readers eagerly awaiting its sequel. Glamour in Glass follows the lives of beloved main characters Jane and Vincent, with a much deeper vein of drama and intrigue.

In the tumultuous months after Napoleon abdicates his throne, Jane and Vincent go to Belgium for their honeymoon. While there, the deposed emperor escapes his exile in Elba, throwing the continent into turmoil. With no easy way back to England, Jane and Vincent's concerns turn from enjoying their honeymoon…to escaping it.

Left with no outward salvation, Jane must persevere over her trying personal circumstances and use her glamour to rescue her husband from prison…and hopefully prevent her newly built marriage from getting stranded on the shoals of another country's war.
Beginning:
There are few things in this world that can simultaneously delight and dismay in the same manner as a formal dinner party.
Friday 56: 
Opening the music upon the stand, Jane followed the suggestions on the score to enhance the simple, pleasing tune with a fold of color which hinted of birds flying amidst a whirl of blossoms.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this one...I'm going to look for a copy of both novels from this author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...a fold of color which hinted of birds flying amidst a whirl of blossoms." Oh, I like that! You can find mine here...http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/2015/10/its-cozy-food-friday-that-means-its.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Sounds interesting, enjoy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the first book but had mixed feeling about the second. Love to here what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun escape in a beautiful setting. Love the description in the 56.
    My Friday post features Seeing You Again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this book around, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful imagery in that 56! Love the cover too, very pretty! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover and I've heard good things about the 1st book. The beginning especially caught my attention. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover is so inviting. I can see why you are interested in the sequel.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the opening! Gave me a good chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting idea to mix historical romance with magic and fantasy.

    Thanks for playing along with BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sound of it, but I'll have to pick up the first book!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!