Monday, October 26, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Oct. 26, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? was a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. She has decided to pass it on to Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

REMEMBER: There is still one more week to enter my Spooktacular Giveaway and win a box of mysteries. Click the link to find out what mysteries are in the box and to enter.

Other Than Reading... 

I don't know where this week went. I could have sworn that yesterday was Monday. I suppose three after-school meetings can fill up a week. I also got my flu shot and have been feeling just a little out of sorts; I've been going to bed pretty early this week.

Our weather has been glorious this past week. We have had cool, crisp nights and comfortably warm days with those blue skies one only sees in autumn. Friday afternoon and evening we saw just a little bit of much needed rain.

My newly arriving review copies have had me rearranging my blogging calendar a few times this week already. I have been too busy working with my blog and calendars to actually get much reading done. I'm writing this Friday evening and hoping that Saturday and Sunday will have lots of uninterrupted reading time.

Added Monday morning -- other than some wasted time playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook, I did manage to find a whole bunch of reading time. Of course that means that today will be filled with the errands I put off in order to read.

Read Last Week
Tenacity by J. S. Law was a military thriller by a debut author. I received this ARC from the publisher and enjoyed the story. It was filled with tension. My review will be posted on October 29.

Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews is also a review book. I loved it and already ordered a finished copy for my Kindle. The book will be released on November 13 but look for my review on October 31. The was definitely a treat and not a trick for Halloween.
Tracks of Her Tears by Melinda Leigh begins this mystery story which takes place in the time around Christmas. It stars Seth and Carly and begins with a murder and a missing brother. It packed a lot of action and emotion into its 99 pages.

Dead in Her Tracks by Kendra Elliot finished the story and stars Zane and Stevie. This one begins with another couple of murders and has them investigating the possibility that there small, quiet town is hosting a serial killer. This was another action-packed 99 pages.
I loved Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold which is the seventeenth book in her Vorkosigan Saga. I stayed up until 1:30 in the morning Friday night because I just couldn't stop reading. I was strongly tempted to start reading it again after gulping it down the first time. My review will be posted on January 28.

Currently
I dug deep into the TBR mountain to find The Secrets of the Heart by Kasey Michaels. This historical romance has been on my stack at least since February of 2008.

Next Week
First up for next week are Of Noble Family by Mary Robinette Kowal and Closer to the Heart by Mercedes Lackey.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Last week saw a bunch of new review books hit my mailbox. Most of them have short turnarounds too.
Tracks of Her Tears by Melinda Leigh and Dead in Her Tracks by Kendra Elliot are two new related novellas that revisit the characters in their previous quartet of novellas set in Rogue River. These are romantic suspense titles that take place right around Christmas. Leigh's novella will be released on Nov. 10 and Elliot's on November 17.
Cold Girl by R. M. Greenaway is a thriller I downloaded from NetGalley. This one won't be released until March 28.

I took a chance and sent an email when Ilona Andrews was looking for people to review their new self-published innkeeper story thinking that I would never be chosen. I was very pleased when I received an email with a PDF of Sweep in Peace attached. I really liked the first innkeeper book and added this one to my reading list right away. It is set for a Nov. 13 ebook release.

I also bought three books this week.
I couldn't wait for the paperback. I needed Of Noble Family by Mary Robinette Kowal so that I could find out what was next for Jane and Vincent. I bought a hardcover through Amazon Marketplace. I love these Regency stories with magic!

I also bought Owl and the City of Angels by Kristi Charish for my Kindle. This is the second book about Owl who is a female Indiana Jones but with magic.
Finally, I bought an eARC from Baen Books of the newest book in the Vorkosigan series. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold won't be released until February but I couldn't wait. This books isn't going to politely wait its turn on TBR mountain either; I plan to read it as soon as I finish the review books releasing in November.

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

9 comments:

  1. So many people were reading Tenacity during readathon a couple weeks ago... will be curious to see what you thought. Thanks for the flu shot reminder, too. Need to go get mine today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of Melinda Leigh's books, and this one sounds really good! Thanks for sharing....I also like the look of Nine Lives...I'll be reading a book by this author this week.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Those are mostly new to me reads! Haven't read any at least! Hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate review books with short turn arounds! Pressure. Sounds like Of Noble Family is going to be an anticipated pleasure read for you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. having a giggle at the book on your TBR mountain since 2008, I've had some waiting patiently for 10 years lol. Have a great week, enjoy the gorgeous weather and enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a busy week for you! I've got Clean Sweep yet to read. Looking forward to your thoughts on Tenacity. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how we have to juggle life, reading and blogging, :-)
    Many of your books are new to me and look interesting. I like the sound of the Leigh titles. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck to you with your TBR mountain! Thank you for stopping by my blog. :) Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for dropping by. It looks like you're reading some interesting books.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!