Sunday, October 4, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Oct. 4, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey  It’s Monday! What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading... 

Fall weather has made an appearance here in southern Minnesota. The days have been crisp and bright and great for walking after school. This was Homecoming week at the high school and things went well except that someone or a group of someones lit the bonfire a night early. It was announced that there would be a new bonfire after the football game but that the location was secret and would be announced at the game. I didn't attend and have no idea where the new bonfire was. Doubtless, I'll hear on Monday.

September was my slowest reading month of the year so far. I still managed to read 21 books with 7217 pages. Since I have few books to read in December for review, I was able to read eleven books from my TBR mountain. I have also set up all my posts for December on both my blogs and have completed the Teaser Tuesdays and Friday Memes. Since my reading pace has slowed. I also set up a couple of Top Ten posts for Wednesdays so that my blog has some new content most days. I also spent time this week posting all my reviews for the September releases on Amazon.

I'm thinking of doing some kind of a regular post on Wednesdays to spotlight books that are on my TBR mountains. Hopefully, I could then add the book to my reading stack most of the time barring the arrival of new review books. There is already a Waiting on Wednesday meme but I'm usually not waiting for anything. I could go a whole year (or two or three) without adding a new book and still have books on my stack that I haven't read.

Read Last Week
Thirty and a Half Excuses by Denise Grover Swank is the third book in the Rose Gardner series. I got a finished hardcover from Crooked Lane Books for review. I'm told it is the last hardcover they currently plan to do in that series. This one was as much fun as the rest of the series. Rose is such a disaster magnet! My review will be posted on October 8.

Play by Kylie Scott was the second in her Stage Dive series. I really liked this contemporary romance and can't wait to read books three and four which are also on my Kindle. My review will be posted on November 28.
In the Company of Wolves by Paige Tyler was the third book in the SWAT series. I liked this book because it had a great romance and it also added depth to Tyler's world building by introducing more about werewolves. My review will be posted on December 2.

Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz is her latest romantic suspense title. Krentz excels at creating interesting characters and Madeline and Jack were no exception. The story also had a plethora of possible villains and motives for the murders and attempted murders that Madeline and Jack had to solve while falling in love. My review will be posted on December 3.

Currently
I am finally getting a chance to read Valour and Vanity by Mary Robinette Kowal. It has been on my list to read for weeks but kept being put off for review books I needed to read first.

Next Week
I am expecting another new mystery for review to arrive this week. But I also hope to read The Trouble with Fate by Leigh Evans which has been on my TBR mountain since December of 2012 and Devoted in Death by J. D. Robb which is a recent arrival.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I got Thirty and a Half Excuses by Denise Grover Swank for review from my contact at Crooked Lane Books. This third in the Rose Gardner cozy mystery series will be released on October 13.

The Broken Saint by Mike Markel was a free mystery for my Kindle. It sounded good.

The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher was also for my Kindle. I like steampunk and I like Butcher's writing. I ordered this one before it was published and was pleased to have it download to my Kindle on Tuesday.
Down the Rabbit Hole by J. D. Robb also downloaded to my Kindle on Tuesday. I am not a big fan of anthologies but I couldn't pass up getting a new In Death story.

The Bookman's Promise and The Bookwoman's Last Fling by John Dunning are mysteries that I got in hardcover through Amazon Marketplace. They are the last two in the Cliff Janeway series and somehow I had never read them.

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

10 comments:

  1. 21 books is still pretty impressive! My reading this year has been a little slower than it has in past years but I'm hoping to end strong. I love the idea of a regular TBR feature. I always mean to read more off mine but new shiny books always seem to get in the way. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your idea of highlighting what is on your TBR stack, like you I'd never fill a waiting on Wednesday post. You could start a meme.
    Autumn sounds beautiful, that and Spring are wonderful seasons. I hope to read Secret Sisters - have asked for it on NetGalley but shall have to wait and see. I always like to listen to the audio of her romantic suspense anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of tbr Wednesday. I never do waiting on Wednesday either. Secret sisters looks like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a TBR Wednesday, too.

    Have to say I'm amazed that a 21 book month is considered slow for you... don't think I've EVER read that many books in a month ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of Thirty and a Half Excuses, and Secret Sisters is on my list. Enjoy!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to Secret Sisters. Also anxiously awaiting Devoted in Death. I have too many books waiting on the shelves to think about the books I am waiting for, lol. You could do a What's Waiting For Me meme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Secret Sisters looks good. I like the idea of a TBR Wed, I think I could go a good 10 years just reading from by bookcases and kindle.lol. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't sure about Secret Sisters but your comments got me interested. You do always seem to have books that interest me. I still have far to go in the In Death series. I keep pulling in at least a couple a year - which always leaves more. Enjoy your reading and I will try not to envy you being so far ahead in posting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homecoming can be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you work really far in advance. You are one organized lady!! Enjoy your books this week.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!