Thursday, August 26, 2010

Friday Memes: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Happy Friday everybody!!


Book Beginnings
Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.
The Friday 56

Rules:
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Post a link along with your post back to Storytime with Tonya and Friends.
  • Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

I was in need of a comfort book today and so I grabbed Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris for a re-read. I recently watched the first two seasons of True Blood on DVD and am surprised how very much like the beginning of the first book the series is. Later on series diverges a lot. At least, I think so. It has been a long time since I read the books. As it happens, I am reading a copy of the book with the new cover. I also have a copy of the original cover.

Beginning:
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
Page 56, sentence 5:
"You were married."


"Yes, I became a vampire when I was thirty. I had a wife, and I had five living children. My sister, Sarah, lived with us. She never wed. Her young man was killed in the War."


"The Civil War."
I felt like I needed to provide the context for my sentence. It made no sense by itself. As it is, it helps set the feel of the book and shows how much has changed for Bill.


What are you reading? 

10 comments:

  1. I've read the short stories but I've not been tempted to read the novels.

    My beginning is from The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever read one of the Sookie Stackhouse books and can't remember which one but this is quite an intriguing first line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're an award-free zone, Kathy.

    Anyway, I'm not officially participating in Book Beginnings, I'm visiting participants' blogs.

    I have to say, it would be so cool to write the words you quoted from the Charlaine Harris book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful opening lines.. A book to check out!

    Here is my post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard mixed reviews about the books - I loved Season 1 of the TV show. Not sure how I feel about this first line though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this author, but your excerpts are intriguing...thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/friday-memes-56-and-book-beginnings-2/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first sentence of this book. I really enjoyed the early books in this series but I am not a fan of the show because of all the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are alluring!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/08/friday-56_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read (well, listened, actually) this book last week and now I'm on the second one. I've never watched the show, but my sister's hooked on it, and she's never read the books! I liked the opening lines of Dead Until Dark. Here's my BB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never got into Charlaine Harris although she seems very popular. I will have to try and give her a go when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!