Monday, August 9, 2010

Teaser Tuesday: Brothers in Arms by Lois McMaster Bujold

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

I am in the middle of a massive re-read of the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. I am reading all of these again because I just read the eARC of the most recent book in the series - Cryoburn - and wanted to revisit the world and the characters. I have all of these books in multiple editions and am currently reading them on my Kindle.


I am about in the middle of the series and reading Brothers in Arms which was originally published in 1989. Because I am reading on the Kindle, I chose to grab my two sentences from location 1000.
He had to restrain himself from skipping down the steps of the Palais de London in the ambassador's wake. Genius. He was a frigging genius.
The he in question is Lord Miles Vorkosigan son of the Prime Minister of the planet Barrayar and a lieutenant in Imperial Security. He is also Admiral Naismith who is the commander of the Dendarii Mercenary - a secret arm of  Barrayar's intelligence division (secret even from the Dendarii!) 


All his identities are gathering in the same place in this adventure on Earth which is very dangerous for Miles and for Barrayar's interests. Miles needs to find a way to convince everyone that he is at least two separate people since Naismith cannot be seen as a tool of the Barrayarans. So he floats the idea that Naismith is a clone of Vorkosigan. Only Miles discovers that he really does have a clone. His clone-brother Mark is a part of a massive plot that Miles must foil.   


The Vorkosigan Saga is space opera with a very human touch. Lois says that she doesn't do themes - that she just tells stories. But the stories do tend to allow for exploration of several themes - honor, loyalty, and many others.


I have lost count of the number of times that I have read this series. Each time I find something new and get lost in the excellent storytelling.

22 comments:

  1. Wow..I love to re-read my favorites books too. I've read Enyd Blytons couple times. Mostly because my cousins love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying this series so much! Hope you have a wonderful reading week....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha. That made me giggle. Guys skipping do that to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting teaser. I've never heard of this series, though it sounds like something a friend of mine might have read. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not heard of this series before! Sounds great! Thanks for visiting my teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is very confident! Love it.

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good...it's hard to imagine a big guy "skipping"... lol.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting teaser. I too love re-reading my favorite series every now and again. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. That one made me laugh :P. And I always like to re-read things, otherwise I feel it's a waste just to buy a book read it once and then leave it on the shelf to collect dust. Glad you're enjoying your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of this series before, I think I might have to take a closer look sometime! Happy reading! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting quote! I haven't heard of this series myself either....but sounds like you're one of its number one fans! ^_^ Happy reading or in this case, rereading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy this- thanks for dropping by The Literary Omnivore!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great teaser, and thank you for the description of the main character and the series. I've always meant to get into Lois McMaster Bujold, but have never gotten around to it yet. Maybe it's time, eh? :-)

    Meanwhile, my own teaser is at Bookishgal.

    Oh, and! Your blog name makes me scream with glee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great teaser! Sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't heard of this series before. Cool teaser

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome, frigging awesome!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/08/teaser_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a few books that I reread from time to time, too. Always nice to come back to those books we've loved in the past. Haven't heard of this series before, but it sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like a good book!
    Mine's more fun this week - get a laugh!
    All I Ever Wanted

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm looking forward to your review!

    Thank you for stopping by. Mine's from The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great teaser! I hope you're enjoying the rest of the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooo...wonderful teaser! I've read Bujold's Sharing Knife series & the very first Vorkosigan book (in which Cordelia first meets Aral), but I never made to the second book. Your teaser reminds me just how much I want to get back to this series. Bujold is a very talented writer. Enjoy your re-read! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!