Thursday, March 29, 2012

Book Review: Counterfeit Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Counterfeit Magic
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publication: Subterranean; Deluxe Hardcover edition (November 30, 2010)


Description: Return to the world of Kelley Armstrong's best-selling novels Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic for a long original novella.

The first rule of a supernatural fight club? Don't kill your opponent.

When the fighters come with lethal spells, werewolf strength and half-demon powers, that can be a lot tougher than it sounds. It's hard to attract talent if they know they might not leave the ring alive. So when fighters at a California club start dying -- it's bad for business.

Witch detectives Paige Winterbourne and Savannah Levine take the case. Going undercover in the power-heavy arena of the fight club is a welcome change of pace for Paige, relegated to the role of The Wife as her husband struggles to find his place in his family's Cabal--the corporate Mafia of the supernatural world.

As Paige is drawn deeper into new and dangerous corners of her world, she quickly discovers the greatest threat isn't the killer in her sights. It's something much, much closer to home. And this is one fight she can't afford to lose.




My Thoughts: This novella features Paige, Lucas and Savannah and a case at their investigations agency. A half-demon comes to hire them to investigate her brothers' death at a supernatural fight club. She also makes a major play for Lucas. While Lucas goes off with her to investigate one end of the case, Paige and Savannah go off to investigate the fight club. The case quickly gets more complicated than they thought.


Paige is feeling more uncertain about Lucas since he has become more involved in the Cortez Cabal. She knows that that organization of male chauvinist sorcerers will never accept her, a female witch, as anything except an eccentricity of Lucas's. She is worried that Lucas will come to the same conclusion. This case seems designed to play on her fears.


This story is a lot about trust and how people can grow and change in a relationship. Paige and Lucas' relationship is tested in this one. This was also an entertaining mystery involving characters fans of the Women of the Otherworld series have come to know. It was a great added glimpse of that world for those fans. I recommend it for fans of the Women of the Otherworld series. 


Favorite Quote:
Ethan's car was there, alongside on old Camaro, complete with an eagle on the hood and big-breasted women on the mud-flaps.


"Classy," Savannah said. "Love the mud flaps. I didn't think they still made those."


"No hit on the plate," I said as I finished searching it on my phone. "Fake."


"Like I said, a classy guy. Since we don't have a name, I vote for Guido." She caught my look. "Yeah, yeah, I'm sure there are perfectly nice guys named Guido. In some universe."
I found this one buried in my TBR mountain and decided it was time to read it. You can buy yourself a copy here.

2 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting this exists. I own every single one of the 'real' books, as in, the physical copies. Really must make an effort to get to it.

    I can't help but feel Kelley Armstrong has overdone it with Savannah though. There ARE other characters you know!

    Thanks for the review - you've reminded me about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!