Monday, October 30, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (October 30, 2023)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

I will be combining my YA and adult reading and purchases on this one weekly roundup.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This was a quiet week. It was cold most of the week. In fact, I awoke to snow on the deck Saturday morning which was fortunately gone by noon. 

I spent a lot of time working on my blog this week. I've decided to try to reread the Amelia Peabody books in order of their internal chronology which was not the way the books were written. I had to look at a variety of websites to finally come to some consensus about the way to read the books. I also arranged and rearranged my blog calendar and blog posts to conform to the final order of reading. 

Then, just when I was finished rearranging my blog calendar and blog posts, I received notice that I had been approved for two review copies with very short turnaround dates. In fact, The Twelve Books of Christmas by Kate Carlisle arrived in my inbox three days after it was published. Chaos Terminal by Mur Lafferty will be published on November 7. My blog is scheduled into December which meant I needed to move reviews around in order to fit these two books onto it which explains why the review of Stork Raving Mad by Donna Andrews won't show up on my blog until December 28 even though I finished it on October 22.

This coming week will contain a doctor's appointment on Wednesday but only a short one. I will also be completing my State of the Stack post which I use to keep me on track with my review copies. Right now, my perception is that I've accepted more review copies than I've read this month. It helps that two of my new ones aren't being released until May and June. 

Also keeping me busy this week are The Voice and the World Series which inconsiderately are both being televised at the same time. I ended up watching The Voice on my computer the next day last week which worked out all right. And then there is Halloween. With Halloween on Tuesday and a predicted forecast of temperatures in the high twenties or low thirties and a strong wind, I have no idea how many kids will come knocking on my door. My best year since I've lived here only totaled about 15 kids. My nearest neighbors have grown kids or no kids which means I don't know the kids who come to my door or where they live. 

Read Last Week

If you can't wait until the review shows up on my blog, reviews are posted to LibraryThing and Goodreads as soon as I write them (usually right after I finish reading a book.)
  • Stork Raving Mad by Donna Andrews (Chirp Audiobook) -- This is the 12th in the Meg Langslow mystery series and was another fun adventure told by Meg who is 8 and one-half months pregnant with twins and who just wants a nap instead of solving a murder. My review will be posted on December 28.
  • Dog Tags by David Rosenfelt (Mine since December 17, 2022) -- 8th in the Andy Carpenter series. Andy gets a dog out of a shelter and defends his owner from a murder conviction while uncovering a much bigger plot. My review will be posted on November 23.
  • The Fiction Writer by Jillian Cantor (Review, November 28) -- A very meta story about an author who wrote a book which was a retelling of REBECCA and now is living the story. My review will be posted on November 22.
  • A River in the Sky by Elizabeth Peters (Audiobook Reread) -- It's 1910 and the Emersons are in Palestine to protect antiquities and thwart German spies. My review will be posted on December 5.
  • Road Queens by MaryJanice Davidson (Review, November 28) -- A fun story about friends, motorcycles and murder told in Davidson's quirky style. My review will be posted on November 23.
  • Lost Hours by Paige Shelton (Review, December 5) -- 5th in the Alaska Wild series. This was an entertaining story with lots of twists and turns. My review will be posted on November 28.
  • Conflict of Honors by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Audiobook Reread) -- I wanted to revisit the Liaden Universe and grabbed Priscilla and Shan's first appearance. 
  • The Twelve Books of Christmas by Kate Carlisle (Review, October 24) -- The 17th in the Bibliophile Mystery series was an entertaining story which includes a wedding, missing books, and two murders. My review will be posted on October 31.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

9 comments:

  1. We use to get a fair amount of kids ourselves back in the day. We were in a pretty full neighborhood and then we had kids who came from elsewhere to trick or treat. Which would be fine, but a lot of them were older who didn't even wear costumes, we still gave them candy of course, but at the same time it's like, put some effort into a costume at least! Even the ironic shirt that says THIS IS MY COSTUME. But times are changing I guess. It's supposed to be pretty chilly here too so I've no idea how many kids we'll get this year!

    Nice line up of reads! All new to me ones but I hope you enjoy them all!


    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - snow already. I'm so not ready for that! I really need to get to Blood Sisters as every time I see the cover it calls to me. We usually don't get many trick-or-treaters either and we are supposed to be in the low 40's so who knows what will happen. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not ready for snow yet, though I could decorate for Christmas anytime after Halloween. I really enjoy everything about this time of year as fall trickles into the holidays.

    Such great books on your list. I'm not good with those quick turnaround ones. Hope you enjoy your week. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely not be ready for snow yet! It's getting colder here too, though we've had only rain and grey skies so far.

    Some great books on your list! Hope you enjoy all your reads. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those books look so good. I've been watching the World Series, too, even though my team isn't in it. I hope you enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a little snow just a few flurries mixing in with the flying leaves. Your Amelia Peabody read sounds fun- I've wanted to reade those- and I'm curious where Lafferty takes that story next.

    Same here w/ Haalloween- some years we get a fair amount of kids and some years hardly any!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do need to spend more time on the blogs! Enjoy your activities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Urgh, snow. We got some last week, and it's still here (while they are still working on construction. Thankfully they finally opened the road today even though they're not done!) Yeah for review copies, even if there's a quick turn around! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far we have been lucky. We've had frost a couple of mornings, but the snow has stayed up in the higher country. After looking at all your books and reading some of your reviews on Goodreads, I'm thinking it's time for me to try a Elizabeth Peters!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!