Monday, July 20, 2026

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 20, 2026)

 It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Want to See What I Added to My Stack? links to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.

Other Than Reading...

This has been a week! It began with very high temperatures for Duluth. We hit 93 both Monday and Tuesday. Then the smoke from the wildfires burning in Canada and Northern Minnesota moved in giving us the world's worst air quality. I think the worst day had and AQI of over 1100.  

Then, with orders to keep windows closed, our 25-year-old air conditioner died. The repair man tried his best, but the compressor can't be fixed. We need to buy a new one with estimated installation no sooner than August 1. Luckily, the air cleared and the temperatures lowered from the 90s to the 80s so we have been able to have the windows open. 

My chronic cough means that I need to stay inside and not breath the nasty air. This means I got a lot of reading and listening done. The All-Star Break helped because I didn't have baseball to watch until Friday. 

I added 8 new books last week. Four of them were new Review copies which means that my goal of lowering my review stack was a fail this week. Since I also read four review books, I stay at 44 review copies on my stack. 

I also added four audiobooks this week. I took advantage of an Amazon Prime perk and changed from a monthly Audible subscription to an annual one. The annual subscription works out to $8.33 a credit and gave me all 24 credits to use immediately. That means that three of my audiobooks this week used Audible Credits. They were also audiobook copies of books that were already on my TBR mountain as Kindle books. The fourth new one was $4.99. It was a retitled reread of a book I read and enjoyed some years ago and the sequel to another books I read this week that just happened to have a cliffhanger ending. 

This coming week has more August review copies on my stack. I'll also be reading a couple from my 2026 TBR pile which currently sits at 21 books. This week should also include some cooking since my brother's shifts this week mean he'll be home for dinner most days. 

Read Last Week
  • Murder in Blackfriars by Jennifer Ashley (Review, August 11) -- Cook Kat Halloway gets involved in a murder investigation as she and her fiancé Daniel are trying to discover his past. My review will be posted on August 4.
  • The Ruling Class by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Audiobook, Mine since May 11) -- Teen Tess Kendrick is forced to move to Washington, DC, to live with her older sister Ivy and finds herself moving in the world of political movers and shakers. My review will be posted on August 18.
  • The Long Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Audiobook, Mine since July 13) -- Sequel to The Ruling Class with even more political intrigue and secrets. My review will be posted on August 20.
  • Death at a Scottish Halloween by Lucy Connelly (Review, August 11) -- When two men named Duncan Craig die during the Halloween celebrations, Dr. Em and her Scooby gang are on the case. My review will be posted on August 5.
  • The Matchmaker's Cottage by Kat Sloane (Review, August 11) -- Romance marred by the main characters mental issues set in a New York State B&B. My review will be posted on August 6.
  • Death of an Irish Druid by Catie Murphy (Audiobook, Mine since April 8) -- Megan is showing some friends around Ireland when she stumbles upon yet another murdered man. This time he's floating in a sacred well. My review will be posted on August 25. 
  • You Can Tell Me by Melinda Leigh (Kindle & Audiobook, Mine since May 20) -- Spinoff character Olivia Cruz gets her own romantic suspense story. My review will be posted on August 19.
  • Brimstone Hollow by Archer Sullivan (Review, August 11) -- PI Annie Gore travels deep into Kentucky to see if the death of a snake handling preacher was the accident it seems to have been. My review will be posted on August 6.
  • Make It Out Alive (Kindle & Audiobook, Mine since July 16) -- Quinn & Costa go undercover as honeymooners to catch a serial killer, catch him, and then are kidnapped themselves by his previously unknown partner. My review will be posted on August 20.
Currently
Next Week
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

Review:
Bought:
What was your week like?

6 comments:

  1. Wildfires are not common here surprisingly considering the tropical conditions prevalent. Right now El Niño has started and we having very hot weather, even for the tropics. You have lots of interesting reads but many of them not on Netgalley, my source of reading material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished If Books Could Kill and really enjoyed it. I'm sorry about the a/c. How awful that whole thing must be especially with the fires and then not being able to open windows. Glad you can now. I hope they can install a new a/c sooner than they expect. Hope you enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that was a good bargain in Audible credits. I get one credit at Audible a month and one at Audible Australia. The books are cheaper for me at the Australian one. When I get something from the USA I almost have to double the price into our dollars which is really low at the moment. The Jennifer Ashley book sounds perfect and I have The Bravest Hour to read soon, I find I really got to put my brain on when reading that series, the Irish part is so convoluted. Yay for Susan Elizabeth Phillips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice lineup of reads! These are all new to me ones again, but I hope you will enjoy each and every one of them this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my gosh, Kathy! I can't even imagine 90's and poor air quality (which we also had here) without a/c! That sounds like torture. And you can't get a new unit until August?? That's crazy. And as bad as our air quality got at about 180 or so, I can't imagine over 1000! So sorry you went through that. Glad things are improving (here, too, after Saturday night's storms). Wow, I'm always impressed by how many books you read! Looks like a great variety recently and many more to look forward to. Enjoy your new audios & your other books!

    Sue
    https://bookbybook.blogspot.com/p/big-book-summer-2026.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, this was an awful week for you. I'm so sorry you have been suffering with the smoke and a broken ac unit and the heat, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!