Friday, April 29, 2016

Friday Memes: Dragon Harper by Anne McCaffrey and Todd McCaffrey

Happy Friday everybody!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
J'lantir's brows were thick, gathered like thunderclouds as he glowered at his wing riders. He had called them to his quarters and met them in Lolanth's weyr. The presence of his bronze dragon, eyes whirling menacingly red, left his wing riders in no doubt as to his mood.
Friday 56: 
"I want to live for all that I can learn," Kindan said. Another finger. "For all that I can give." Another finger. "For all that I have yet to see." Another finger—he was up to nine. "I want to live for me and what I can offer."
This week I am spotlighting another book from deep in TBR mountain. Dragon Harper by Anne McCaffrey is the 6th book going by internal chronology of the series but the 20th book published in the Pern series which began in 1968. I have had this one one my stack since 2008 but have recently rediscovered the series. Here is the description from Amazon:
For millions of readers the world over, the name Pern is magical, conjuring up grand vistas of a distant planet whose blue skies are patrolled by brave dragons and their noble riders, a paradise threatened by the periodic fall of deadly Thread. But not all dangers descend from the skies. Now, in their third collaboration, Anne McCaffrey and her son, Todd McCaffrey, spin a tale of a mysterious illness that may succeed in doing what centuries of Threadfall could not: kill every last human on Pern.

Life in the Harper Hall is busy for best friends Kindan, Nonala, and Kelsa. As the only female apprentices, Nonala and Kelsa are the butt of jokes and easy targets for the bully Vaxoram and his cronies. But when Kindan springs to Kelsa’s defense, he winds up in a fight for his life against the older, bigger Vaxoram–a fight that will lead to a surprising friendship.

Meanwhile, in nearby Fort Hold, a clutch of fire-lizard eggs is about to hatch, and Lord Bemin’s beautiful young daughter, Koriana, is determined to Impress one of the delightful creatures. At the hatching, Kindan Impresses a fire-lizard of his own . . . and wins the heart of Koriana. But Lord Bemin mistrusts harpers and will not hear of a match between his daughter and the low-born Kindan.

Then fate intervenes in the form of a virulent plague as fast-spreading as it is deadly. Arising suddenly, as if out of nowhere, the contagion decimates hold after hold, paying no heed to distinctions of birth. In this feverish crucible, friendship and love will be tested to the breaking point and beyond. For with Threadfall scant years away, the Dragonriders dare not expose themselves to infection, and it will fall to Kindan and his fellow apprentices to bravely search for a cure and save humanity.

The price of failure is unthinkable. But the price of success may be even harder to bear.

15 comments:

  1. Enjoy the fantasy!L ooks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the fantasy!L ooks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have had it on the mountain for a long time! Hope you are loving it...and thanks for sharing. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, to have a series that spans so many years - that is some writing. Sounds good. I'm featuring Fortune's Rocks this week. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know what other reasons he listed for wanting to live! This isn't a genre I usually read, but I'm intrigued.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks interesting. I haven't read any books in the series, but I have heard about them before. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The teasers didn't really grab me but this is an author I've really been wanting to read. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not really my kind of read but hope you enjoy it. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't aware there were still Pern books being written. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope your other readers will as well...http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsBFB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't aware there were still Pern books being written. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope your other readers will as well...http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsBFB

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my favorites in my favorite series of all time! I'm planning to reread them all again this summer and share reviews too!

    My Friday 56 from Titans

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I'd love this book, dragons and all... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like both the beginning and the 56 - I have not read any books in this series or any books by this author - though of course I've heard about how great her books are. Thanks for visiting my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  14. ENJOY...not my cup of tea. :)

    Hope your weekend is going well.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always been told to try these authors! :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!